Texas LTC

BillM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 8, 2021
TX
The way I understand it, these days most, if not all, cars have the the computer link.The fact that you have a LTC/CHL comes up on the screen before you and they come to a stop. This assumes that the car you are driving and the licence plate are in your name. Once it is verified that you are that person, the LEO can believe you were a law abiding citizen; at least up until the last renewal date.
Yep, I've been stopped a few times since I got mine in the 90's and no one has ever asked to see it. One time I got stopped and was not carrying and I showed him my LTC and said, "no gun", and he said why not? Lol, I was a t work and they would fire me for it.

easy rider

Spark Creator
TGT Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
Not long after I got my LTC after moving to Texas, I forgot to show my LTC along with my DL to DPS. He came back and said it shows that I have an LTC. I told him I was sorry that I had forgot. He looked at the LTC and asked where the gun was (right hip). Told me to drive safe and left. They know.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
My LTC instructor told our class that the license is tied to your drivers license and a LEO has no way of knowing just by running your license plate. LTC's are not public while license plates are.

Think that through for a second. A license plate check returns the registration status and information of the plate, depending on which service is being used to run the plate. While that may include who the plate is registered to, that person may or may not be the driver.

However, when you apply for your LTC, you provide DL/state ID number which allows a cross-reference later.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
My LTC instructor told our class that the license is tied to your drivers license and a LEO has no way of knowing just by running your license plate. LTC's are not public while license plates are.
The plate comes back to registered owner and if registered owner has LTC that will come up. ( assuming a Texas plate)

BillM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 8, 2021
TX
The plate comes back to registered owner and if registered owner has LTC that will come up. ( assuming a Texas plate)
That's right. I hear it on my police radio all the time. They'll run a plate and it'll come back who they are and if they have a chl they will say so.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Jan 23, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
As a matter of habit/courtesy, I inform the LEO - even if not carrying. Had one ask once "You don't need to show it if you're not carrying, so why did you?" I honestly answered (with a grin) - "When you run me, it's going to tell you I have a license. I figured it's better that we already HAD this discussion before that." He laughed, went back and ran my license and gave me a verbal warning for 75 in a 65.....lol

Cjohnston

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
May 21, 2014
Fort Worth TX
Not true. LTC holders are held to the same standards of the law as everyone else.

What I think you meant was the conviction rates of LTC holders is much lower than those without.

DPS tracks them...

Of the 26,304 total serious offense convictions in 2020, 114 — or 0.43 percent — were LTC holders.

There were zero convictions of assault causing bodily injury against a family member by LTC holders.

Of the 1,441 convictions of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, LTC holders only accounted for four.

Convictions of deadly conduct totaled 427 with 12, or about 2.8 percent, being LTC holders.

Of the 770 convictions of robbery, 443 convictions of assault on a public servant, and 102 convictions of aggravated assault with a weapon against a dating partner, household member, or family member; none were by LTC holders.

Given how inexpensive a Texas LTC is, I still contend it's a good idea to get one if you can afford it especially if you travel to reciprocity states...
Very interesting and not at all surprising,

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud