• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texmansru47

That's me on the right
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2021
    Spring, TX
    I have heard a great deal of flack when I decided to get my LTC but honestly, I am glad I got it. From talking to a DPS buddy of mine it smoothes over more situations with a gun in a vehicle for more than without one. Typically in my past, I was the one always called out because I have a naturally guilty face (I was told). So for me having this is a God-sent. So far I was pulled over once for speeding. I mentioned to the approaching officer that I had a gun in the vehicle but I am Licenced To Carry in the state. He asked me where my gun was and I told him and then he asked for my LTC license which I gave him. He asked to get out got my gun. Examined it and then put it back. He asked me to slow down and be more cautious when driving those windy roads. It was a good experience for me.
    Venture Surplus ad

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have heard a great deal of flack when I decided to get my LTC but honestly, I am glad I got it. From talking to a DPS buddy of mine it smoothes over more situations with a gun in a vehicle for more than without one. Typically in my past, I was the one always called out because I have a naturally guilty face (I was told). So for me having this is a God-sent. So far I was pulled over once for speeding. I mentioned to the approaching officer that I had a gun in the vehicle but I am Licenced To Carry in the state. He asked me where my gun was and I told him and then he asked for my LTC license which I gave him. He asked to get out got my gun. Examined it and then put it back. He asked me to slow down and be more cautious when driving those windy roads. It was a good experience for me.
    You are the second person who has mentioned that the gun was examined, the other one said to see if it was stolen. This seems to be an abuse and unless the LEO thought his life might be endangered I see no reason for him to have your gun.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    The way I understand it, these days most, if not all, cars have the the computer link.The fact that you have a LTC/CHL comes up on the screen before you and they come to a stop. This assumes that the car you are driving and the licence plate are in your name. Once it is verified that you are that person, the LEO can believe you were a law abiding citizen; at least up until the last renewal date.

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    LTC’ers are held to a higher standard.

It’s usually, “…don’t show me yours, and I won’t show you mine. Be extra careful driving along this stretch. Y’all have a nice day…”

Unless one acts like an arse.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    LTC’ers are held to a higher standard.

Not true. LTC holders are held to the same standards of the law as everyone else.

What I think you meant was the conviction rates of LTC holders is much lower than those without.

DPS tracks them...

Of the 26,304 total serious offense convictions in 2020, 114 — or 0.43 percent — were LTC holders.

There were zero convictions of assault causing bodily injury against a family member by LTC holders.

Of the 1,441 convictions of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, LTC holders only accounted for four.

Convictions of deadly conduct totaled 427 with 12, or about 2.8 percent, being LTC holders.

Of the 770 convictions of robbery, 443 convictions of assault on a public servant, and 102 convictions of aggravated assault with a weapon against a dating partner, household member, or family member; none were by LTC holders.

Given how inexpensive a Texas LTC is, I still contend it's a good idea to get one if you can afford it especially if you travel to reciprocity states...

Last edited:

Mr. Atoz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2021
    Fort Worth
    The way I understand it, these days most, if not all, cars have the the computer link.The fact that you have a LTC/CHL comes up on the screen before you and they come to a stop. This assumes that the car you are driving and the licence plate are in your name. Once it is verified that you are that person, the LEO can believe you were a law abiding citizen; at least up until the last renewal date.
    My LTC instructor told our class that the license is tied to your drivers license and a LEO has no way of knowing just by running your license plate. LTC's are not public while license plates are.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Yep, I've been stopped a few times since I got mine in the 90's and no one has ever asked to see it. One time I got stopped and was not carrying and I showed him my LTC and said, "no gun", and he said why not? Lol, I was a t work and they would fire me for it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Not long after I got my LTC after moving to Texas, I forgot to show my LTC along with my DL to DPS. He came back and said it shows that I have an LTC. I told him I was sorry that I had forgot. He looked at the LTC and asked where the gun was (right hip). Told me to drive safe and left. They know.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    My LTC instructor told our class that the license is tied to your drivers license and a LEO has no way of knowing just by running your license plate. LTC's are not public while license plates are.

Think that through for a second. A license plate check returns the registration status and information of the plate, depending on which service is being used to run the plate. While that may include who the plate is registered to, that person may or may not be the driver.

However, when you apply for your LTC, you provide DL/state ID number which allows a cross-reference later.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The plate comes back to registered owner and if registered owner has LTC that will come up. ( assuming a Texas plate)

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    The plate comes back to registered owner and if registered owner has LTC that will come up. ( assuming a Texas plate)
    That's right. I hear it on my police radio all the time. They'll run a plate and it'll come back who they are and if they have a chl they will say so.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As a matter of habit/courtesy, I inform the LEO - even if not carrying. Had one ask once "You don't need to show it if you're not carrying, so why did you?" I honestly answered (with a grin) - "When you run me, it's going to tell you I have a license. I figured it's better that we already HAD this discussion before that." He laughed, went back and ran my license and gave me a verbal warning for 75 in a 65.....lol

Cjohnston

Certified Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Fort Worth TX
    Not true. LTC holders are held to the same standards of the law as everyone else.

What I think you meant was the conviction rates of LTC holders is much lower than those without.

DPS tracks them...

Of the 26,304 total serious offense convictions in 2020, 114 — or 0.43 percent — were LTC holders.

There were zero convictions of assault causing bodily injury against a family member by LTC holders.

Of the 1,441 convictions of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, LTC holders only accounted for four.

Convictions of deadly conduct totaled 427 with 12, or about 2.8 percent, being LTC holders.

Of the 770 convictions of robbery, 443 convictions of assault on a public servant, and 102 convictions of aggravated assault with a weapon against a dating partner, household member, or family member; none were by LTC holders.

Given how inexpensive a Texas LTC is, I still contend it's a good idea to get one if you can afford it especially if you travel to reciprocity states...
    Very interesting and not at all surprising,

Top Bottom