• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    The authorities don't need to ban Open Carry of Long-arms, the anti-OC opponents on this website and other like-minded citizens are doing it for them. There is no difference between an official ban and a self-imposed one is there? The net effect is the same. We should all push back hard and all carry our ARs openly and proudly until it's no big deal to see a citizen with one. That's how the Gays and Lesbians used "creeping normalcy" to fight for their rights. They had the balls to do it and they won. We're a bunch of pussies (young cats) compared to them.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    The gays and lesbians were not getting arrested for being gay and lesbian. ;)
    True, but there was a time when one could openly discriminate against them and suffer no consequence, try that now and see what happens. That's where we as gun owners need to be.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's how the Gays and Lesbians used "creeping normalcy" to fight for their rights. They had the balls to do it and they won. We're a bunch of pussies (young cats) compared to them.
    Well, not exactly. They managed to officially redefine homosexuality in the DSM. Some of the tactics used in achieving that were messy and not exactly honorable. But they did achieve their goals.

Contrast that experience with the open carry practiced by the Black Panthers in California in the mid-1960s. In my gut, I cheer for what they did. They understood the meaning of the 2nd far better than most gun owners do today. What, however, was the result? Ronald Reagan shit his drawers, California passed landmark anti-gun legislation, and (arguably) the political climate was changed in such a way that we got the Gun Control Act of 1968.

I love the idea of open carry. It does, however, backfire sometimes. Within memory, it has backfired BIG time.

I really haven't decided whether I do or do not support open carry. Of course I support it at rallies where the volume of participants make a political statement that cannot be shut down by law or rule. In other circumstances, I'm simply not so sure.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The gays and lesbians were not getting arrested for being gay and lesbian. ;)
    You're kidding, right? How many old men have, in the last couple of decades, been placed on the Sex Offender Registry because they got a ticket back in the 1950s for being homosexual?

I can't believe I'm reading you right. I must be misunderstanding something, such as the time frame you have in mind. If, however, you were responding to Sapper740 about the change in the way our society views homosexuality, well, that was happening in the 1960s and early 1970s. Many, many of the people involved had been arrested many times between WWII and then for being homosexual.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You're kidding, right? How many old men have, in the last couple of decades, been placed on the Sex Offender Registry because they got a ticket back in the 1950s for being homosexual?
    I don't know, how many? What, exactly, were the ticket issued for? And you alleging that they were forced to register decades after being convicted?

Do you have any examples?

I can't believe I'm reading you right. I must be misunderstanding something, such as the time frame you have in mind. If, however, you were responding to Sapper740 about the change in the way our society views homosexuality, well, that was happening in the 1960s and early 1970s. Many, many of the people involved had been arrested many times between WWII and then for being homosexual.

I think you are mistaken. It was behavior that resulted in the arrest, not who they were or their beliefs. But I see your point. It was two men having sex in the privacy of their home that ultimately resulted in the Supreme Court ruling the Texas law against "homosexual conduct" unconstitutional.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't know, how many?
    Lots. Too many to count easily. In the links below (both explicit and referred), the number of court cases challenging this situation, alone, is mind-boggling.

What, exactly, were the ticket issued for?
    Depends on the state they were in at the time.

[Are] you alleging that they were forced to register decades after being convicted?
    Absolutely. Some were decades later. Some just a few years. Even though ex post facto laws are supposed to be a bad idea, most states have made their registry laws retroactive.

Do you have any examples?
    Sure. Let me google that for you. The first 100 or so links should prove informative.

For a basic overview, this: CSOM Publications is severely out of date but contains the following (still true) text:

Retroactive Application
    Most states require registration for some or all sex offenders convicted prior to the statute’s enactment (AL, AK, AZ, CA, FL, HI, IA, MD, MN, MS, MO, MT, NV, NJ, NC, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, WV, and WY). Many apply this retroactive requirement only to offenders who are incarcerated or under supervision at the time of the law’s enactment (AR, CO, GA, ID, IL, KY, LA, MA, MI, NE, NH, NY, ND, TN, VA, WA, and WI). The remaining states require only those offenders convicted after the statute’s effective date to register.

For a short summary of the retroactive application of offender registration in Texas, see: Retroactive Sex Offender Registration in Texas - HG.org

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Lots. Too many to count easily. In the links below (both explicit and referred), the number of court cases challenging this situation, alone, is mind-boggling.

Depends on the state they were in at the time.
    Pick one example for me.

Show me one case in Texas where someone was given a ticket in the 50's through 60's for "being a homosexual" and then later put on the sex offender registry. Nothing I have read in your search has shown that AT ALL.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Pick one example for me.

Show me one case in Texas where someone was given a ticket in the 50's through 60's for "being a homosexual" and then later put on the sex offender registry. Nothing I have read in your search has shown that AT ALL.

I'm pretty sure that he never claimed it happened in Texas.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Kinda like asking me to find an example of someone arrested for OCing a rifle or shotgun in Texas.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Kinda like asking me to find an example of someone arrested for OCing a rifle or shotgun in Texas.
    Right. They aren't getting arrested for Open Carrying a long gun — because that's perfectly legal. Trespassing, criminal mischief, resisting arrest, interfering with official police duties, etc. on the other hand...

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    What happens?
    TXI, c'mon, what kind of shit storm do you think a Queer could raise if he/she/it were told that, even though they were amply qualified for the position, they weren't being hired because of their sexual preferences? The queue of Civil Rights and ACLU lawyers would only be exceeded by DOJ prosecutors.

Top Bottom