Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Anti-government 'sovereign movement' on the rise in U.S. ? USATODAY.com

Here's the main part of the story:

TRINIDAD, Texas – Gary Thomas will never forget the letter he received in early 2000. It was from John Joe Gray, a suspect in a felony assault case, offering a not-so-subtle warning to the area's chief criminal investigator: He had no intention of answering charges that he had attacked a state trooper.

"What he said was this: 'If y'all come to get me, bring body bags,' " said Thomas, now a local justice of the peace.
    Thomas remembers the message clearly, not because of its unvarnished threat, but because — after 12 years — Gray, who doesn't acknowledge the authority of any government, continues to dare police to come and get him.

Sequestered on a 50-acre, wooded compound in East Texas since jumping bail more than a decade ago, Gray and his clan have effectively outlasted the administrations of four local sheriffs, all of whom have decided that John Joe's arrest is not worth the risk of a violent confrontation.
    "The risk of loss of life on both ends is far too great," said Anderson County District Attorney Doug Lowe, who first sought to prosecute Gray for the alleged Christmas Eve 1999 assault of Texas Trooper Jim Cleland. "I believed it then; I still feel that way."

Now, this is an interesting story itself about a man who is in a stand-off with local law enforcement...but it also brings up an interesting point near the end of the story:

In wake of his son's murder, Paudert, the former West Memphis police chief, is now assisting the Justice Department in a national campaign to prepare law enforcement officials for potential violent encounters with sovereign followers.

Maybe this has something to do with us hearing about police depts around the country getting all those fancy toys that nobody likes them having?

I already knew I was going to post this story just hearing about the guy in a stand-off. But that last part turned this into kind of a two-part posting. It's kind of a "WOAH! Check this out!" and a "Hmmm, I wonder if this has to do with anything...."

Target Sports

Top Bottom