• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Incorrect. It is an ls motor. The 4.8, 5.3, LQ4 (low compression 6.0) LQ9 (higher compression LQ4), LS1, LS2, LS3, LS7, and even the 6 bolt block LSx Gmpp motors are ALL ls based engines

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

More or less true, except iron vs aluminum block. I don't remember the article, but some mag took a bone stock lq9 and fi of some sort and the motor held up fine until like 1000+ hp.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    More or less true, except iron vs aluminum block. I don't remember the article, but some mag took a bone stock lq9 and fi of some sort and the motor held up fine until like 1000+ hp.

It is ALL true, iron or aluminum block doesn't matter. Those were just the basic designations of a few motors. I could go into extreme detail, but decided against it. And the article you are referring to used an LQ4, a lower compression 6.0 iron block, because it responds to boost a whole lot better.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    mod motor cheaper than LS? ...until you do a cam swap.

who wants to race Lemons? we were registered for last year's MSR-Houston race until it got changed to the actual 24hr race.

941739_10100214434455424_1438738290_n.jpg

464002_10100215524650664_1360390564_o.jpg
    sr20 sentra?

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i really want to do a lemons/chumpcar, but i dont know of any teams or anything in the SA area. hell, id be down to wrech on the car and not drive. just provide an extra set of hands during the build.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    lol. I'm away for most of the day and look where this thread has gone :)
    I sadly have *nothing* in the garage for parts anymore. 4 years ago, I had extra motors, transmissions, turbo setups, welders, presses, etc. Sold all of it off. Well, I still have my fire jacket :torched: I kinda just walked away after the IB stuff went down on 'Tech. Demoted myself from admin to a regular user, let my PM box fill up, logged out, and haven't been back. Sometimes I miss it. Those were good times. From what I understand, the community there has completely changed.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It is ALL true, iron or aluminum block doesn't matter. Those were just the basic designations of a few motors. I could go into extreme detail, but decided against it. And the article you are referring to used an LQ4, a lower compression 6.0 iron block, because it responds to boost a whole lot better.
    Hmm, good info... Not interested in joining another forum, so the education here is much appreciated. I still say a Q doesn't look like an S, lol...

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    LS is a design and nickname for the Gen 3 GM small block.

Kind of like mod motor is a on the Ford side.

A Boss 429 and a 429 are both FE designs, but one has a lot of aluminum on it.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    LS is a design and nickname for the Gen 3 GM small block.

yup. the first LS engine was the LS1 which debuted in the C5 Corvette in '97. All V8 gas Chevy engines to date, except the new LT1 in the C7, are LS-based. The ONLY non-LS gasser Chevy V8 in the past decade or so would be the Vortec 8100 which is based off the old BBC (pre-LS).

whether it's an LS1, LS6, LS4, LS2, LS3, or LQ4, LQ9, L92, etc., they are all considered an "LS".

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    yup. the first LS engine was the LS1 which debuted in the C5 Corvette in '97. All V8 gas Chevy engines to date, except the new LT1 in the C7, are LS-based. The ONLY non-LS gasser Chevy V8 in the past decade or so would be the Vortec 8100 which is based off the old BBC (pre-LS).

whether it's an LS1, LS6, LS4, LS2, LS3, or LQ4, LQ9, L92, etc., they are all considered an "LS".

Shank ya

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Cams for mod motors are crazy costly!

Lucky for us the cams have been in the 700hp/torque area.So it's not really worth replacing them for the 20-40Hp gains. Normally the people who run them are built N/A motor or people that have more money then sence.

I just put a junk yard 5.4 in a buddys car, with forged rods and pistons and a home built turbo kit. $2200 into it and it puts down 522/650 stock heads cams and intake. $6-7k total into the car/parts and its 10 sec capable.

Top Bottom