• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    youre in SA, im in SA, lets get a chumpcar/lemons racer going.

Convince my boss to ease up on my schedule so I have time for a hobby again, LOL.

If I can shake the free time and money loose, I'd love to work on/race a LeMons car.

The 300cid inline six was pretty decent for sure, had one in an old 88 F-150. The top end was gone on mine though, valve guides wore out, valve seals probably didn't exist, and I had no desire to fix it. I'd just let it run out of oil, pressure gauge would drop to zero, and THEN I'd start looking for somewhere to stop for a couple quarts. Sometimes I'd have to drive 4-5 miles with no oil pressure :) Never did kill the bearings, oddly enough. Sold the truck for twice what I paid for it too! But an inline six (and a V12 by association) is inherently balanced, so they run smooth as glass. V10's, V8's, V6's, I4, I5, etc. have an unbalanced firing pattern.

One of the big reasons the Windsors, and the Clevelands for that matter, lasted so long was Ford kept the RPMs down. That's the primary reason diesels last so long - they don't spin very high.

Do I smell a SA vs. Houston Lemons challenge?

The lower RPMs and fact that the 302 was horribly oversquare (351 was also oversquare, but not as much) contributed for sure. Kind of killed their potential for torque, though. The 4.9 was in production for over 30 years, so the later ones damn well better be reliable.

Top Bottom