Texas SOT

Texas native Mac Davis critical after heart surgery.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I hope wo dont lose another one.

Mac Davis, a music and television mainstay in the 1970s and beyond, is critically ill after heart surgery in Nashville. A note from his manager asks for prayers for the 78-year-old singer and hitmaker for Elvis Presley and more.

After writing songs such as "In the Ghetto" and "A Little Less Conversation" for Presley, Davis — born Morris Mac Davis in Lubbock, Texas — went on to enjoy a country crossover career with songs including "Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me" and "Stop and Smell the Roses." Much of his success on country radio came after he won the ACM Entertainer of the Year award in 1975.

Hurley's Gold

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Saw him on a talk show once and he was talking about how he wrote some of his songs. He wrote something and the producer didn't like it, saying it needed a hook. As almost a joke, he wrote, Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me, and it wound up being a big hit.

He joked that he had a song he started but never finished that went, "Gonna put a bar in the back of my car and drive myself to drink".

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Sadly, Mac Davis passed yesterday...

1601465794181.png

It’s with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of Mac Davis. He was surrounded by the love of his life and wife of 38 years, Lise, and his sons Scott, Noah and Cody.

Rest in peace, Mac! We'll never forget you!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Elvis ain't dead man, he runs a bodega in queens with the hooker sasquatch and her alien pimp.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    There are only a few true Macs that I have met. It’s a four generation name in my family. Very cool. I’m a little young to be familiar with his music I guess. RIP

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Best memory always of Mac Davis was playing the North Dallas Bulls QB Seth Maxwell in '70s movie North Dallas Forty based on the book of the same name written by former Dallas Cowboys WR Pete Gent. Most think his character was loosely based on Mount Vernon native son and former Cowboys QB "Dandy" Don Merideth and Gent's character was played by Nick Nolte. Many other obvious characters are represented in the movie, including Tom Landry and Roger Staubach.

Always enjoy it no matter how many times I've seen it and Mac's character always makes me laugh. Lots of great quotes and one liners. RIP, Texas boy.

nd40.jpg
    preview.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    North Dallas 40 (18).jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom