• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So the next question is when do we say **** it and fight back literally? I mean what do you even do as the first step?
    I'm sure as hell not getting it and I'm going to tell the IRS to pound sand when they try and fine me.
    Non-compliance is the first step. Apparently it's unenforceable at this time anyways:
    The mandate is not only less expensive than getting caught driving without insurance, but also harder to enforce. The Internal Revenue Service cannot use any of its usual tricks to collect: garnishing paychecks or seizing bank accounts. The only thing they can do is take it out of monies you are due from the federal government -- say, your tax refund. As long as you arrange not to have a big tax refund, you don’t have to pay it.
    -----Will the 'Young Invincibles' Join Obamacare? - Bloomberg
    What would be even better than just non-compliance is full economic secession. Stop being a wage earner with a reportable income. Be self employed and only accept payment in cash, bitcoin, gold/silver, or barter. It would be a complete lifestyle change for most folks, however... me included.
    Texas SOT

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    VA sent me letter yesterday to inform me, that as a veteran, I am exempt from Obama's health care system, but they forgot to tell me that I can't get care at the VA because I don't pass the "means" test.

At least I am off the radar (for now).

Just another example of Big Government ineptness.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    No. Your employer reports that you have insurance on the W2 and you have to report it on your 1040. Eventually you'll have to report the $$ your employer pays for the plan as income and pay taxes on it. Not sure when that crap will kick in.
    ?!?WHAT!?! Are you F'ing kidding me? So you're telling me at some point in the future I will have to pay taxes on my employer provided insurance that already deducts a certain amount from each pay check??? Is this a for real fact or just something you heard from somebody that knows a guy? How in the hell can that be ok?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ?!?WHAT!?! Are you F'ing kidding me? So you're telling me at some point in the future I will have to pay taxes on my employer provided insurance that already deducts a certain amount from each pay check??? Is this a for real fact or just something you heard from somebody that knows a guy? How in the hell can that be ok?
    Interesting... I haven't heard this tidbit yet, but I haven't read all the way through the ACA yet :rolleyes:

It's "ok" because congress has unlimited powers to tax us. That makes you feel better, right?

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    Look at your W-2's from last year. That is when they started putting the value of health ins. in a separate box on the W-2. This is for employer provided health insurance, so I am not sure how this applies to insurance from other sources than an employer.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    Im not buying any of that Obuttscrew care. The only thing I went to the hospital for was a sprained ankle as a 15 yr old trying to jump over trash cans on my skateboard lol.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    All part of the plan. Crash the system or create such a nightmare people view the single payer option as the only way out. It will happen as only a small number of people are needed to make it happen.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Non-compliance is the first step. Apparently it's unenforceable at this time anyways:
    What would be even better than just non-compliance is full economic secession. Stop being a wage earner with a reportable income. Be self employed and only accept payment in cash, bitcoin, gold/silver, or barter. It would be a complete lifestyle change for most folks, however... me included.

I love it when someone GETS IT! This is sage advice in these times. Let me also pass on a tibit, if you live inside the city limits, YOU got a problem especially if its a major city. Get out of the city limits, get out of the control of corrupt city govts that are being funded by the Feds to control YOU! Get out in the country while you still can...

VA sent me letter yesterday to inform me, that as a veteran, I am exempt from Obama's health care system, but they forgot to tell me that I can't get care at the VA because I don't pass the "means" test.

I may be wrong, but you can still use the VA only you pay due to the means test. Its not expensive at all I know some guys that are paying and its very cheap...

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

You would be paying taxes on the portion of your insurance that your employer pays. The premium you have removed from your paycheck is only a portion of the full premium. Your employer pays the rest.

Not sure when the taxation part kicks in, but as stated before the value of your insurance is already reported on the W2 as of last year.

As for the IRS not being able to enforce the fines and such unless you have a refund coming. Don't hold your breath on that one. You're assuming that the government will play by the law (good luck with that one) and that there niño small print in that messed up abortion of a law that nobody has reported or even read yet.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You would be paying taxes on the portion of your insurance that your employer pays. The premium you have removed from your paycheck is only a portion of the full premium. Your employer pays the rest.

Not sure when the taxation part kicks in, but as stated before the value of your insurance is already reported on the W2 as of last year.

As for the IRS not being able to enforce the fines and such unless you have a refund coming. Don't hold your breath on that one. You're assuming that the government will play by the law (good luck with that one) and that there niño small print in that messed up abortion of a law that nobody has reported or even read yet.
    Ahh Taz, You smart man, sage advice...

There MAY be a angle tho...file suit aginst the govt in Tax court (I am thinking this is gonna happen nationwide...

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Might want to check on that again. I haven't seen a means test at the VA in the last couple of years, and it used to be a once or twice a year ordeal. I'm sure you will find some differing experiences, but I've been going to the VA in Houston since 1974, and IME, the care at DeBakey is excellent once you get past the palace guard.

It requires patience, and you absolutely must take an active role in the management of your own healthcare. Approached with that in mind, you will be surprised at well taken care of you will be.

Looking at the last names of the doctors on a clinic's board you wouldn't think you were in the USA, but don't let that fool you, they are just as good, and often better in most of the specialties, than you would find in private practice. There is a lot of teaching going on most specialties with the other hospitals in the Medical Center, so you get cutting edge care for a lot of things.

If you qualify for it, get it even if you have a copay. After all, if you served your country, you damned well earned it more than 99% of those receiving government handouts. If you don't, some slacker will ...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I love it when someone GETS IT! This is sage advice in these times. Let me also pass on a tibit, if you live inside the city limits, YOU got a problem especially if its a major city. Get out of the city limits, get out of the control of corrupt city govts that are being funded by the Feds to control YOU! Get out in the country while you still can...

I may be wrong, but you can still use the VA only you pay due to the means test. Its not expensive at all I know some guys that are paying and its very cheap...

No I cannot, because my "other" insurance trumps the VA, but I don't want to compare policies simply because so many others are getting screwed with higher premiums far above their current health care insurance plans.

By law, every American is guaranteed health care, Insurance or not. The uninsured only have to go to the nearest tax-payer funded emergency room. My property taxes help fund the UTSA Health Science Center that operates an emergency room for walk-in uninsured.

Don't confuse "Emergency Room" with "Trauma Care."

Obama-care is an insidious way to take total control of health care, and thereby put the entire population (except for the very wealthy) under government control.

Once you depend on .gov healthcare, you will have to surrender your firearms for critical medical care.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Interesting... I haven't heard this tidbit yet, but I haven't read all the way through the ACA yet :rolleyes:

It's "ok" because congress has unlimited powers to tax us. That makes you feel better, right?
    F'ing ridiculous, I mean seriously this is some B.S. That's one of those " hidden taxes" I kept hearing about, and the hits just keep on coming...

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas

WOW!!! All I can say is wow... What a freaking joke.

Top Bottom