• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    What is missing is TSRA/NRA support for the bill. I do not think there has ever been a gun bill in recent memory that was passed that they did not drive. And if the bill is not pre-filed, it is likely not to pass either. You need to have all your ducks in a row BEFORE the session starts, and even then you have 50% or less chance of getting it passed.

I've resisted commenting on this "movement" to the fullest that I'd like to. But I don't think I need to come out and actually say it.... It's just confusing (maybe not) as to what motivation someone from another State has to take the lead on something like this.

I'll be quiet again. People still need to make this heard with their legislators if for nothing else but to get it onto the radar for the future.

rayj8524

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Here is a copy of the letter (email) I received today about the open carry. In case any of you did not receive this, I am sharing this with you in case you feel in favor of the open carry, this might help you know who and how to contact someone to help move this.

I contacted my representative today and was told that various legislation was going to committees and that the open carry was still a possibility, if someone will step up and sponsor it. That was from the office of my representative here in Wichita Falls, which she said she would convey my message to Austin.

I hope there will be more phone calls made real soon to help this along.

Thanks

Dear Texas Open Carry Petition Signer,

At over 55,000 signatures, we sure have come a long way in the fight to decriminalize open carry in the great state of Texas, but we're not done yet!

We still have not had a bill introduced this legislative session.

All you need to do is take 10 minutes out of your day and give your State Representatives and Senators a call and let them know that you signed the petition for open carry in Texas and that you would like them to introduce an open carry bill this session.

Here is a link to find your Representatives/Senators and their contact information:
    http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

Not sure what to talk about? Here are some talking points:

• Oklahoma and South Carolina have already filed NO-LICENSE open carry bills this legislative session in response to petitions that are almost 18 TIMES smaller than the petition for Texas!
    • Arkansas is following suit as well.
    • Open carry also helps to protect CHL holders from wrongful arrest if their firearm becomes exposed.
    • If a bill is not filed this session, Texas could become one of just 3 or 4 states that criminalize open carry.
    • The current drafted bill by Representative Riddle is for licensed open carry. This means that the people with CHL's that are already carrying handguns would simply have the option to carry openly.
    • If open carry gets legalized, it will not be a return to the wild west as many critics argue. Is it like the wild west in all the other states where it is perfectly lawful to openly carry a firearm? No.
    If your Representative or Senator is not supportive of unlicensed open carry, ask them how they feel about licensed open carry.

Any step in the right direction is a good step.

You would be surprised how big of a difference a few phone calls makes. Let's give them a few THOUSAND!

dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    im all for it if others need to open carry but considerations must be made to noalienate those of us who like consealing our weapons i personally dont want anyone knowing i have a firearm till after i have shot them but that is just me maybe seeing guns on every ones hips is a deterent sure if thats the case lets give every one aks it will be fun.... but seriously it needs to be written like indiana's law only those with chl have the option

elmer fudd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    I agree with dmkav24.
    CHL's should have the option.
    Watch this video. Obama is not the only one who will take your gun.
    YouTube - Gun grab
    Also, a point of history. In the frontier days Dodge City passed an ordnance that said:
    guns could not be worn or carried north of the "deadline" which was the railroad tracks. The south side where "anything went" was wide open.

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico
    CHL's should have the option if you are cleared to hide a weapon you should be able to show a weapon. If a more stringent background test is in order thats fine I have a TS SCI YW right now is that enough or because right now i am trusted with the safety of the President but i can't open carry when i come home i think that is bogus.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Printing............I to have never heard of a law against printing! I carry G27 in a paddle holster, extra mag and cell phone. Loosse fitting shirts does as the law requires.........conceals. Do these items print? Sure. SO.............WHAT!

Okie556

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I just think that it is silly to think that people wouldn't freak when they saw you carrying.

I think that if open carry passed that people might freak a little at first because it's not something that they're used to seeing. However, I also feel that the reactions would ease quickly once it becomes an everyday fact of life. While I don't necessarily want to walk around with my gun in plain sight at all times, I have to agree with the folks who would like to dress nice for dinner and remove their jacket without worrying about getting in trouble.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What the Texas OC movement needs to do is forgo this session, draft a SOLID bill and seek a series of possible sponsors for the 82nd session. The bill should then be introduced in November, where it has the maximum amount of time and exposure, and in conjunction with a PLANNED effort from people to push the bill to the top of the pile when the session opens.

Most of the people that are pushing for the OC seem to be putting the cart before the horse and they wonder why nothing is happening. I've even been thinking of starting my own push for OC; being that I live in Austin, I have proximity.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    What the Texas OC movement needs to do is forgo this session, draft a SOLID bill and seek a series of possible sponsors for the 82nd session. The bill should then be introduced in November, where it has the maximum amount of time and exposure, and in conjunction with a PLANNED effort from people to push the bill to the top of the pile when the session opens.

Most of the people that are pushing for the OC seem to be putting the cart before the horse and they wonder why nothing is happening. I've even been thinking of starting my own push for OC; being that I live in Austin, I have proximity.

Very well said! I've hinted around at the same thing for a long time.

Someone posted, here or maybe elsewhere, that it never did get introduced and can't in the session now? If so, that tells you something about who it went to and the actual support it didn't have. Saying it in an interview is one thing......

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Thanks for posting that.

It sure seems like what many have eluded to. There was a lot of energy, in the wrong places. Even though it had been asked of the Open Carry group (the site), no one ever would step up and say whether there was actual discussion with legislators, and even when it came out that Rep. Riddle had it in her office, there was still no real organized effort to even stay in contact and follow it there. Once, towards the end, people started pushing more and asking questions, it seems as though it had been sitting in some pile under dust because they really didn't have anyone pushing it or even bringing attention to it.

99% of the effort was from behind keyboards on forums and blogs.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I do think its ironic that according to the story they want to make it legal for disabled folk to carry openly and the guy complains that that's not what they were going for. I think its a step in the right direction that atleast they're trying to pass something. It also opens the door for those who are for OC to say "what's good for the goose is good for the gander". But as others before me have pointed out, the overall message needs to be that it is our right to bear arms. Period. And if you truly believe in the right to OC, get off your computer and start doing something to rally support among your fellow gun owners. No politician is going to do anything that you want if you don't let them know what it is you want in the first place.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom