• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I dont know if it is true and i looked at all of the laws and i cant find it but do you have to be a registered voter in the state of Texas to have a concealed handgun permit? Also do you have to be living in the state for at least 6 months? I was asking questions at work and an gentlemen stated these and was very stern about them being true. thank you
    Gun Zone Deals

Glenmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Hello gladi8r,

It's not required that you be a registered voter. (Although it's probably a good idea to be a voter and help protect ones 2nd amendment rights but that's for another thread:D.)

Here's the info from the DPS web site:

To be eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun, a person must meet the following requirements:
    (1) an applicant must have been a resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application, relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state, or must be eligible for a non-resident license as provided by the Act;

You can get more detailed information from the DPS at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm .

Hope this helps.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I have been here since january 21 but i have had my license since feb so does that mean i dont qualify just yet or do i qualify cause i am a resendent due to my license. I was thinking that you had to be here for 6 months to be considered a resident with an out of state license. I dunno its pretty confusing

Glenmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Best bet would be to ask your CHL instructor.

Seems to me you've met this part of the requirement:
    "relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state"

BTW, welcome to Texas.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Best bet would be to ask your CHL instructor.

Seems to me you've met this part of the requirement:
    "relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state"

BTW, welcome to Texas.

Yea I think so also and thanks for the welcome i love the State it sure is freindly

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You do not have to be a resident for six months to obtain a Texas CHL. A resident of ANY state can obtain a Texas CHL.

To obtain a resident CHL, you just need to sign off on a affidavit that you intend to be a resident.

Texas Government Code

411.173. Nonresident License.

(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a) (1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state.

411.172. Eligibility.

(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:

(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

Texas Administrative Code

TITLE 37PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONSPART 1TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETYCHAPTER 6LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNSSUBCHAPTER BELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURESRULE §6.11

To be eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun, a person must meet the following requirements:
    (1) an applicant must have been a resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application, relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state, or must be eligible for a non-resident license as provided by the Act

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I just thought I would add my two cents.

I am neither a Texas resident, or even a US citizen (and hence I am not a voter) and I have a Texas Concealed Handgun License.
    I obtained my CHL whilst a I was a non voting, non U.S., but Texas, resident.
    I moved to L.A. for a year and duly notified DPS of my address in L.A. and got a replacement card with my California address on it. I'm now moving 'home' to Texas.

I dont know if it is true and i looked at all of the laws and i cant find it but do you have to be a registered voter in the state of Texas to have a concealed handgun permit? Also do you have to be living in the state for at least 6 months? I was asking questions at work and an gentlemen stated these and was very stern about them being true. thank you

Top Bottom