• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Geez, I know I'm gettin old as I avoid crowds like the plague and would feel ridiculous in any costume. Shudder......

I went once many years ago with a bud from Brighton, England.

He was simultaneously amused and repulsed at that, that was supposed to old English. He would constantly point out the 'old English stuff' was so off the mark, all he could do was shake his head in disgust.

Conclusion: Yes, of course, getting together for some make believe is fun for many, not my cuppa tea though and don't expect anything close to what ye olde English stuff to be anything close to accurate historically.

It's fun and really, really fake.

As are the "re-enactment" festivities I've seen take place in Ye Merry Olde England. :evil:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I tried to make my garb as historically accurate enough as to have it be fun and once it got cumbersome/ impossible I gave myself permission to stop trying to perfect it.

Husband and I spend a lot of time there talking with people and enjoying trying to refine our social skills in a jovial/ fantasy environment. We usually spend two shows a day at the front of the Sound & Fury show audience and immerse ourselves in goofy/raunchy and really off humor. Improv makes things seem new, and old favorite jokes are laughed at anyways.

Husband says that being with me there together and hanging out, enjoying drinking beer, and playing around/ laughing together is one of his favorite places to be. So I think the big effort we make to get there is worthwhile.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We've planned to come for the last 2 Sundays but had to canceled due to the weather. Glad you guys had fun there.

Are there any tips on when to get there to avoid huge traffic? This Sunday is the last day ...
    Avoid coming up from Houston on 249.Road construction from Tomball into Magnolia goes down to one lane. Come Friday or Saturday as Sunday being the last ay lots of things can be out of stock. Friday will be like a Saturday, Saturday will be like a Sunday & Sunday will suck! It's a very muddy mess so wear proper footwear.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    We will be there both days of opening weekend. Have a hotel in Conroe. Celebrating anniversary on Saturday (23 years).

We will go four weekends this year, whole weekends each time.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Road constructions is still an issue on 1774. This year you will not see the uniformed law presence as the festival has gone to a private contractor. It's been very dry & hot on the grounds, so don't over do your costume. Valet parking is now $35.00. My guess some other thigs have gone up as well. Brings planty of cash to tip your favorite beer wenches.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How family-friendly is it these days? I remember the chainmail girls, for example. And Snot & Puke telling really raunchy jokes then deflecting bad audience reactions with "Hey, if your kid understood that joke, you got way bigger problems than us!"

I get the impression that it has become a good deal less adult over the last couple of decades.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How family-friendly is it these days? I remember the chainmail girls, for example. And Snot & Puke telling really raunchy jokes then deflecting bad audience reactions with "Hey, if your kid understood that joke, you got way bigger problems than us!"

I get the impression that it has become a good deal less adult over the last couple of decades.

Personally I wouldn't bring young kids on a weekend. This is based on the cost of the festival. Most of the young kiddie stuff is in the very back of Sherwood Forest, which is far away and down hill. Walking back will suck. Teenagers if they were like I was at the age could very well end up getting into some big trouble. I would hate to think of the cost of a kid getting busted by TABC for underage drinking. The smell of marijuana can be dedecated at times.

A few years back it was turning into more of a fanasy festival. Plenty of freaks wondering about.

They started School Days years back & that would be the best time for younger kids. The bars are closed & the only adult perverts are the ones working there. Thing to remember is a large portion of the workers are rennies & travel a circuit. A virtual drive down renfaire road to see how some of the workers live is very eye opening.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016

Several shows are rated R and they will say so. If you keep your kids with you at such a presentation after they have warned you the jokes will get raunchier and raunchier until you leave in a huff with your kids in tow and we will all clap and (sarcastically) cheer for “good parenting!!”

Husband gets plenty of kilt check jokes and I’ll have to eventually shoo away drunken girls trying to reach up there to discern “true Scotsman” status.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Wait for the cooler weather of November. Way to many people into their cups & fried food throwing up in the heat. A surprisingly large number of people who are over come by the heat alone.

On big attendance weekends it s like a cattle drive especially with the dust getting kicked up. A lite rain in October means humidity, where in November it's not.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Has it turned into a 'burning man' gawd awful crowd of people you'd not consider getting near anywhere else or getting there, but not quite yet...?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It was very different to this old man.
    It wasn't an event for old people. The write-up you linked kept referring to a rave.

You do realize that anyone over age 30 at a rave is classified as geriatric, right? In fact, there have been groups of folks that persist in going to raves past their 30th birthday who have, from time to time, organized and called themselves geriatric ravers. Older individuals recognize themselves as belonging to that classification, too.

Individual example.
    Geriatric Ravers Facebook page.
    Raver Geriatric home page for folks over 25. You can tell it's for old people because it's just a gateway to a mailing list. :)

So if you're an old man, how did you wind up at a rave?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It wasn't an event for old people. The write-up you linked kept referring to a rave.

You do realize that anyone over age 30 at a rave is classified as geriatric, right? In fact, there have been groups of folks that persist in going to raves past their 30th birthday who have, from time to time, organized and called themselves geriatric ravers. Older individuals recognize themselves as belonging to that classification, too.

Individual example.
    Geriatric Ravers Facebook page.
    Raver Geriatric home page for folks over 25. You can tell it's for old people because it's just a gateway to a mailing list. :)

So if you're an old man, how did you wind up at a rave?

I worked it with 3 other oldsters I know. Funny thing the kids we had contact with were very polite. Many of them were wearing bandanas covering their faces & we thought ANTIFA. That wasn't the case they wore them to keep the dust out out of their noses. All their dancing did kick it up. We headed out to the main stage for the big final show & were welcomed. Most the kids thought it was bad ass that old folks would even check it out. I ended up leaving early because my back & knees couldn't handle it.

Back in my day Pink Floyd were the ones with the most equipment. Middlelands blew it away. Pretty impressive I wore foam ear plugs the whole time. The bass was felt in your guts & in structures at the renfest.They even erected a WIFI tower for the event.
    IMG_4032.jpg

Besides makeing some decent money this is the olny thig I have to show for the three daze.

Attachments

• IMG_4032.jpg
      IMG_4032.jpg
      611.7 KB · Views: 398

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Opening weekend was very slow. Sad for the performers.

Was very hot, and my costume is heavy with several yards of wool pleated. I did not care. That is what I wanted to wear.

Had a nice time excepting one blip in the weekend where there was a little clash between us (drinking affected behavior, it’s hard to get that just exactly right, enough... but not too much) but over the course of 23 years married, it was pretty mild considering.

Had a fun time for the most part. Very very exhausted now.

dc8SwK.jpg

Attachments

• dc8SwK.jpg
      dc8SwK.jpg
      2.2 MB · Views: 470
    Top Bottom