• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aTm papi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Austin
    My father-in-law was attacked by a shoplifter at his work, so he decided to do an online class from another state. I told him that you still needed a field test done, and he told me Virginia DPS doesn't require it. What do you guys think about no field test requirement?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not sure what a field test is. But if he obtains a valid CHL from any state with which we have reciprocity then he can carry here.

My concern is that he will not know Texas laws. Can he shoot a shoplifter? At what point would an "attack" justify deadly force as a response? On that note, what is Deadly force? See where I am going with this?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    How much is the online course? Seems to me he could do it for nothing more than the state fees and fingerprint fees by going to the state website and following the clear and concise information there.

aTm papi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Austin
    Maybe I'm saying it wrong, but it's where they have you shoot at a target from 3, 7, and 15 yards away.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Here is what they require:Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

Documentation of Competence with a Handgun
    The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

• Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
    • Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
    • Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    • Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
    • Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
    • Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
    • Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
    • Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class, an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant, or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    How do I feel about it?

I really don't care if there is or isn't a requirement to demonstrate proficiency as they are all arbitrary legislative BS puked out of a bureaucracy where it seems citizens need to jump through hoops to conceal carry handguns in certain states in specific locations under specific circumstances.

Some other states don't require anything but being a good citizen to open or conceal carry and I don't see a change in how good honest people act there from here so why even bother if you don't need to go show how many times you can hit the paper from bureaucratically defined distances?

As far as the law goes if he studies up on where and where he can not go under the law and remembers it then he's far ahead of everyone who can't remember or has outdated and incorrect information.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I personally believe that if your FIL is going to carry in Texas, he should get a Texas CHL. Concealed handgun laws are many and varied between the states. He really needs to learn all the legalities of the State he carries in.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I personally believe that if your FIL is going to carry in Texas, he should get a Texas CHL. Concealed handgun laws are many and varied between the states. He really needs to learn all the legalities of the State he carries in.

Does your belief that a person should know the Texas laws concerning firearms extend to all gun owners and if so should the training be regulated and verified by The State of Texas?

Is it also important to know the laws for unlicensed activities with a firearm for example carrying concealed in a vehicle, at your place of business or to and from a sporting activity that uses firearms?

How about those who carry knives or pepper spray? Should they also require classes and tests regulated by The State of Texas to carry?

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Virginia is one of the easiest states to get a CHP. No testing, I just showed them my NRA Instructor Card and that was it.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    Pennsylvania was even easier to get a carry license. Postcard sized application, fingerprints, and $25 to the county sheriff. Picked it up in less than 2 weeks. It's reciprocal here in TX, and I did carry for the first 8 months here with it. However, before I even arrived here, I had read and learned the laws here, because that's the responsible thing to do.
    I see no issue with someone obtaining and using an out of state carry license, as long as they take the initiative to know and follow the laws of the state. If they don't, and end up in trouble, then shame on them.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Here's my question. Who actually remembers what they learned in the class, four years ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania was even easier to get a carry license. Postcard sized application, fingerprints, and $25 to the county sheriff. Picked it up in less than 2 weeks. It's reciprocal here in TX, and I did carry for the first 8 months here with it. However, before I even arrived here, I had read and learned the laws here, because that's the responsible thing to do.
    I see no issue with someone obtaining and using an out of state carry license, as long as they take the initiative to know and follow the laws of the state. If they don't, and end up in trouble, then shame on them.

You forgot you need a current license to apply from your state of residence if offered:

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee.

A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    It is incumbent upon ANYONE who carries a concealed weapon in this, or any other, State to learn and know the laws pertaining to same. Whether you take a class offered by a Texas CHL Instructor, or read and study them yourself. With changes to the laws, and interpretations that can't even be agreed upon by CHL holders, instructors and DPS; sitting in a 4-6 hour class is not going to make you anymore an expert or any more knowledgeable then reading and learning them on your own. When you carry a firearm you are assuming all risk that goes along with doing so. This includes knowing the laws of the State. Heck, there are LEO's that don't know the laws as well as some CHL holders do. When you renew your Texas CHL, you now only have to affirm that you have read and acknowledge the current laws and/or changes. How is this any different then someone with a non-resident CHL from another State?

Everybody wants to be special or better then someone else... if you have a valid issued CHL, no matter what State, you should be able to carry in every damn State in the Union.

And I'm not even going to bring up the fact that you shouldn't even need to have a CHL to begin with.

Top Bottom