Texas Rifle in the Car laws?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by broberts001, Jun 13, 2009.

1. broberts001

broberts001 Well-Known

Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    Can someone point me to Texas law regarding carrying my rifle in my car. I basically need to know if it can have the mag loaded, can it be in the rifle, etc.

Thanks.

-Bryan

2. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Rifles and Shotgons have been carried in vehicles loaded for as long as there have been vehicles, including buggies and wagons. However it is against the law to shoot from or on public roads and highways.

There have been cases of road hunting deer and when caught, a very heavy fine and possible/probably forfiture of the firearm, vehicle, and even jail time.:texas:

3. broberts001

broberts001 Well-Known

Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    As a teenager, I carried my 30-30 and shotty in my gunrack - hell even at school in the late 80's. I know the laws regarding handguns, but my concern is having a loaded rifle in plain sight. Basically, I would like to carry my rifle, mag loaded but no round cambered and just looking fo the law specific to having a loaded mag in the rifle.

-Bryan

4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Again? :banghead: :p

There is no law. We're so conditioned to expect that there is a law for every move we make. Long guns are not prohibited. Loaded or not. :texas:

5. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

BTW, please edit that immediately! If a law maker see's it, you might give them an idea for the next session. :rofl:

6. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have my 12 gauge and a 30-30 in my truck for years.

7. CJS3

CJS3 Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    There is ONLY one reason for me not carrying a rifle in my truck. If for any reason I can't take it with me when I park, IT WILL disappear. I use my rifle rack to carry from point A to point B for shooting purposes. For self defense, I carry a pistol.

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Loaded with a round chambered or without a round chambered it does not matter. I do know that I have had several Texas State Troopers tell me that they prefer that it is behind the seat or something to that effect. Mainly because it is less likely to be stolen. And from a security standpoint period it is always better to not have any firearm in plain view. :happy0001:

9. broberts001

broberts001 Well-Known

Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    Thanks for the clarification guys.

-Bryan

10. mpolk

mpolk Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    I carry my 30 30 in my truck