• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • broberts001

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    Can someone point me to Texas law regarding carrying my rifle in my car. I basically need to know if it can have the mag loaded, can it be in the rifle, etc.

Thanks.

-Bryan
    Hurley's Gold

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Can someone point me to Texas law regarding carrying my rifle in my car. I basically need to know if it can have the mag loaded, can it be in the rifle, etc.

Thanks.

-Bryan

Rifles and Shotgons have been carried in vehicles loaded for as long as there have been vehicles, including buggies and wagons. However it is against the law to shoot from or on public roads and highways.

There have been cases of road hunting deer and when caught, a very heavy fine and possible/probably forfiture of the firearm, vehicle, and even jail time.

broberts001

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    As a teenager, I carried my 30-30 and shotty in my gunrack - hell even at school in the late 80's. I know the laws regarding handguns, but my concern is having a loaded rifle in plain sight. Basically, I would like to carry my rifle, mag loaded but no round cambered and just looking fo the law specific to having a loaded mag in the rifle.

-Bryan

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    As a teenager, I carried my 30-30 and shotty in my gunrack - hell even at school in the late 80's. I know the laws regarding handguns, but my concern is having a loaded rifle in plain sight. Basically, I would like to carry my rifle, mag loaded but no round cambered and just looking fo the law specific to having a loaded mag in the rifle.

-Bryan

Again? :banghead: :p

There is no law. We're so conditioned to expect that there is a law for every move we make. Long guns are not prohibited. Loaded or not.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

-Bryan

BTW, please edit that immediately! If a law maker see's it, you might give them an idea for the next session.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    There is ONLY one reason for me not carrying a rifle in my truck. If for any reason I can't take it with me when I park, IT WILL disappear. I use my rifle rack to carry from point A to point B for shooting purposes. For self defense, I carry a pistol.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Loaded with a round chambered or without a round chambered it does not matter. I do know that I have had several Texas State Troopers tell me that they prefer that it is behind the seat or something to that effect. Mainly because it is less likely to be stolen. And from a security standpoint period it is always better to not have any firearm in plain view.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
    recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal
    knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person ’s own premises or premises under the
    person ’s control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle
    that is owned by the person or under the person ’s control.
    NOTE: Does not state en route from car
    (a-1) person commits an offense if the person
    intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
    her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
    or under the person ’s control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view;

Bottom of page 3
    http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/pdf/pe.010.00.000046.00.pdf

I don't see Long gun, rifle, shotgun, punt gun, or cannon listed

Top Bottom