• ...and so much more!
  • TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    [url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,350988,00.html[/URL]

A Texas sergeant and his son recently found themselves separated not only by an eight-hour time difference, several bodies of water, hundreds of miles and a war, but by a high school official who suspended the boy for answering his dad's call during class.
    Cove High School in Texas, where half the students have at least one parent deployed, justified the punishment against Brandon Hill by saying he had violated the no-cell-phone policy when he took the call from his father, who is serving in Iraq.
    "I have been going through a lot of stress lately and my dad’s like my best friend, so I go to him for everything," the sophomore told FOX News on Saturday.
    "I needed to talk to him, so my mom got a hold of him on Yahoo and told him to call me, so I answered the phone call in class."
    Click here to view video.
    When he learned of his son’s punishment, Master Sgt. Morris Hill said he was unsettled.
    "When my wife told me, I was pretty disturbed by it," he said in a phone call from Iraq.
    "I was pretty shocked, considering that several months before we left I had talked to the … assistant principal and thought everything was fine," Morris Hill said.
    "Since my kid’s been going to the school we’ve had a pretty good working relationship."
    And when his mother, Patricia Hill, tried to contact school officials, she received no response until her son’s story garnered media attention.
    The matter has since been resolved, Patricia Hill said, but she added that more must be done to protect children around the country from being punished in similar circumstances.
    DK Firearms

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    How do these people expect to teach kids to be responsible and react appropriately to situations when the same people in charge of them at school cannot react responsibly to situations

This zero tolerance BS needs to stop. I think its time to take sero tolerance to these school administrators and get rid of them.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    edit!
    I only got half way down the page before I blew the F-king Hell up and posted a - well anyway.
    I thought better finish reading and went back and saw this was resolved.
    This were to happen to someone in my family it would be the worst SHTF that this state ever saw!
    Oh yeah and I spoke to my son today who is stationed at Ft. Benning. He may get to come home is a week or two!!!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The rules are the rules. You can't expect kids to respect laws, or the rules, if you bend them for various people. He valued the call over the repercussions, as he should have, and as anyone of us would have as well. In the end, you can't have kids answering phone calls throughout class from their "parents", legitimate or otherwise. It's an interruption for everyone else in the class, and for the teacher.

Frankly, I would take the ahem "punishment", aka ... vacation, and sit at home with a smile and play video games all day.

I would be more sympathetic if they had expelled him, or something to that effect, as that would be excessive. This is a minor incident that is getting played up because of the emotional attachment.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The rules are the rules. You can't expect kids to respect laws, or the rules, if you bend them for various people. He valued the call over the repercussions, as he should have, and as anyone of us would have as well. In the end, you can't have kids answering phone calls throughout class from their "parents", legitimate or otherwise. It's an interruption for everyone else in the class, and for the teacher.

Frankly, I would take the ahem "punishment", aka ... vacation, and sit at home with a smile and play video games all day.

I would be more sympathetic if they had expelled him, or something to that effect, as that would be excessive. This is a minor incident that is getting played up because of the emotional attachment.

From the comments from the dad it looked like arrangements were discussed with the Asst. Principle for him to take calls. Which is why the son getting in trouble was a surprise.

I thought this sounded familiar...old news. Come on! :p

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Common sense should prevail....I know cell phones, class disruption, rules, kids, but I hereby vote for the Iraq Soldier and his son...God Bless the Brave Unites States Military .....Semper Fi

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    i always just got up and left class if it was a important enough call and having a family member in iraq calling you is pretty dang important. we had a zero tolerance cell phone policy at my high school and they would take your phone from you and charge 30 bucks to get it back, i had to explain to them how you couldn't take someone's personal property and charge money to get it back for a noncriminal offense and how some people may take that as a form of extortion and try to file a lawsuit, they quickly changed the rule to "we take your phone and you can have it back at the end of the day".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom