Lynx Defense

Texas Senate Bill 145 proposed to raise the age from 18 to 21 to acquire firearms

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Dallas Morning News published an opinion article by the co-lead of the March For Our Lives chapter for Dallas about SB145.

Bottom line the author thinks that criminal minors will be stopped by a law which says they can't buy a gun. I haven't heard of any criminals (minor or older) that get a gun in a legal manner. I wrote the below to the editors of DMN.

The main point of the article is Texas Senate Bill 145 which if it became law would unconstitutional raise the age of majority (18) to 21 to buy a firearm. Like or not America has decided when one becomes 18 they are guaranteed certain rights and privileges especially those in the Bill of Rights. We don't require minors to get government permission for speech, worship or freedom of assembly. Criminal minors will not be prevented from obtaining firearms because they don't acquire them from legal sales. Only the lawful and responsible 18 year old will be denied the opportunity to defend themselves or others. Such as students at Michigan State University shooting in Feb 2023. Last point Florida did pass a law in 2018 to raise the age limit to 21 which was upheld by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. But FL state House panel on approved a bill March 2023 that would lower the minimum age from 21 to 18 to buy rifles and other long guns in Florida. I expect lowering the age to 18 for handguns will come next.

BTW: Senator Roland Gutierrez is the sponsor of SB145

I also wrote LtGov Patrick and my state senator about this matter;

SB145 needs to die a quite death in committee. Raising the age to 21 to buy a gun denies a civil right to a legal adult. TX and USA don't age restrict freedom of speech for adults or their right to vote at 18 per 1st and 26th Amendments to Constitution respectively. The Second Amendment shouldn't be cast as a lesser important right.

p.s. if you don't remember who is your state senator this locator can help.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    IT'S BULLSHITBILL THAT IS NOTHING MORE THAN ANOTHER KNEE JERK REACTION TO THE UVALDE MASSCREIT SERVES NO PURPOSE OTHER THAN GAINING POLITICAL POINTS FOR THESPONSOR OF THE BILL!IT SOLVES NO PROBLEMS IN THE LEAST!

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    So now I am famous for 15 minutes...sort of. My letter cited above did get published in Dallas Morning News 3/26/23 in the Opinion Section along with variety of other mostly anti-2A sentiments.

I didn't expect to change the DMN editorial opinions as they have been anti-gun back when CHL was first passed. But maybe some one who doesn't understand that when a person is 18 they are an adult which includes the right to vote and possess a gun.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So now I am famous for 15 minutes...sort of. My letter cited above did get published in Dallas Morning News 3/26/23 in the Opinion Section along with variety of other mostly anti-2A sentiments.

I didn't expect to change the DMN editorial opinions as they have been anti-gun back when CHL was first passed. But maybe some one who doesn't understand that when a person is 18 they are an adult which includes the right to vote and possess a gun.
    18 IS SIMPLY AN ABRITARY NUMBER SOME HAVE AGREED UPON THAT THEY THINK A YOUNG PERSON HAS REACHED A CERTAIN LEVEL OF MATURITY BUT A PEREON'S AGE ISN'T PROOF THAT A PERSON IS MATURE ENOUGH TO MAKE ADULT DECISIONS IMO!

Top Bottom