Hurley's Gold

Texas Senate Bill 787, 10 year mandatory minimum sentence if firearm is used in felonies

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    I saw a couple of videos on this. Senator Joan Huffman is proposing a law that would add a 10 year mandatory minimum sentence is a firearm is used in many felonies.

Sec. 12.502. PENALTY FOR CERTAIN FELONY OFFENSES COMMITTED
    WITH FIREARM. (a) The minimum term of imprisonment for a first,
    second, or third degree felony listed in Article 42A.054(a), Code
    of Criminal Procedure, is increased to 10 years if an affirmative
    finding has been entered in the judgment in the case under Article
    42A.054(d), Code of Criminal Procedure.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a felony offense for
    which the punishment otherwise required by law includes a minimum
    term of imprisonment that exceeds 10 years.

Most of the felonies are violent ones, but in any case I am opposed to mandatory minimum sentences. This could also become a slippery slope, and why should sentencing be treated differently merely because of the weapons involved. Juries should have all the leeway in deciding what an appropriate sentence is. There may be reasons to convict a person of a violent crime but only give him probation, look up the case of Gary Plauche if you think otherwise.

DK Firearms

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I am more the "mandatory for the crime" kind of person than the weapon involved. You are just as dead from a knife or arrow as from a bullet, knife or a beating. You are just as crippled from a bat as having your knees stomped or kicked by somebody.
    It is the crime that is the problem, not the weapon. The weapon just makes the crime easier to commit.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am more the "mandatory for the crime" kind of person than the weapon involved. You are just as dead from a knife or arrow as from a bullet or a beating. You are just as crippled from a bat as having your knees stomped or kicked by somebody.
    It is the crime that is the problem, not the weapon.

personally i like the three strikes laws many states us three felonies add up to life in prison!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    historically the use of a wepon in a criminalat has always been usedaspart osentencing robbery with a weapon becomes armed robbery rather than just robbery.

Therefore, why is the mandatory 10yr sentence necessary? Seems more like a slippery backdoor gun control bill proposed by a Abbott/Phelan-class RINO to me....

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If I drive within 1000 feet of a school with a gun, it's a felony.
    I suppose I used a gun to commit that felony.
    My other gun would probably double the sentence.
    Just because I didn't take a 15 mile detour.

**** that.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    1676469430703.png

Yall

Linux Wizard
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2023
    San Antonio
    I saw a couple of videos on this. Senator Joan Huffman is proposing a law that would add a 10 year mandatory minimum sentence is a firearm is used in many felonies.

Most of the felonies are violent ones, but in any case I am opposed to mandatory minimum sentences. This could also become a slippery slope, and why should sentencing be treated differently merely because of the weapons involved. Juries should have all the leeway in deciding what an appropriate sentence is. There may be reasons to convict a person of a violent crime but only give him probation, look up the case of Gary Plauche if you think otherwise.

>does the crime even have a victim

This should be the crux of the matter for any gun law, really. My blanket opinion for any gun law is looking at whether or not people are prosecuted for crimes by the DA in a given area. It generally isn't because they care about punishing criminals, it's more about acting as a deterrent for people who want to lawfully carry, but fear that if they make a mistake, they'll land their ass in prison. You see this shit in CA and it's one of the reasons why I left. You can have repeat offenders (violent offenders) who should probably be locked away for life, but they will be released without charges most of the time. Obviously it's not an absolute, but very often you hear of high profile crimes, it's people who should have never been released; even if they possess a firearm is irrelevant. The DA's are so corrupt they'll go after you because you have the wrong accessory. This will be used as a cudgel against the law-abiding.

dlatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2021
    Austin, TEXAS
    I am more the "mandatory for the crime" kind of person than the weapon involved. You are just as dead from a knife or arrow as from a bullet, knife or a beating. You are just as crippled from a bat as having your knees stomped or kicked by somebody.
    It is the crime that is the problem, not the weapon. The weapon just makes the crime easier to commit.

Agree! Punish the crime not the process of how it was committed. Not sure what problem she is even trying to address here - is there an under sentencing problem? I know there is a problem with DAs not charging, but this does nothing for that.

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    Liberal DA's, Judges, city Mayors, and Bail reform. Add to that de-funding the police dumbasses and liberal "we are the world" policies and you get high crime rates. This ain't rocket science. Arrest them, put there miserable good for nothing asses in jail, AND KEEP THEM THERE!

Top Bottom