• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    May I use my CHL in state parks? The reason I ask is the only thing I have found so far refering to firearms in state parks Reads "no" to me.

(f) Arms and Firearms.
    It is an offense to:
    1. possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism, except when authorized by the commission or the director;
    2. display a firearm, except when authorized by the director; and
    3. discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.
    Target Sports

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    May I use my CHL in state parks? The reason I ask is the only thing I have found so far refering to firearms in state parks Reads "no" to me.

(f) Arms and Firearms.
    It is an offense to:
    1. possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism, except when authorized by the commission or the director;
    2. display a firearm, except when authorized by the director; and
    3. discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.

Yes you can carry in Texas state parks.

On July 8, 1998, Texas Parks and Wildlife Executive Director, Andrew Sansom signed Executive Director Order No. 98-001 which reads as follows:

Nothing in the Public Hunting Lands Proclamation or State Parks Proclamation prohibits a person from possessing a concealed handgun, loaded or unloaded, under the authority of a concealed handgun license issued by this state or any other state. Persons carrying concealed handguns must comply with all concealed handgun laws

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    SOME State Parks are on Corps of Engineers property, the Corps states

[URL]http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/belton/faq.asp
    [/URL]
    May I have a firearm in the park? A concealed handgun permit is not valid on Federal property. The possession of a firearm and/or ammunition is prohibited.

So, Lake Whitney, and WHITNEY STATE PARK .... (State Parks where the land is C.O.E. property ...

Here's corps property list, so we know not to go there
    http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/states.cfm?state=TX

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    So if you don't have a CHL license, your defenseless? If you are traveling, is it OK to be covered in the vehicle, unloaded?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So if you don't have a CHL license, your defenseless? If you are traveling, is it OK to be covered in the vehicle, unloaded?

<Corrected>

As of February 2010, you can take concealed handguns into National Parks if you have a valid CHL for the state in which the park resides (note it doesn't have to be from the state, just that it "comply with the firearms laws of the park's home state"

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Replies I've received so far (none from the COE itself yet, but it's in the FAQs, so I won't carry on COE property)

I also checked National Parks, since they'll honor CHLs AFTER February 22, 2010 when the credit card law goes into effect.

These are the replies I got, but they still have not addressed about: I can fish and carry from the bank at a State Park in a Corps lake, but if I wade fish in the Corps lake, wading out from the State Park shore, I can't carry (or launch a kayak there)

---------------
    Good Morning,
    The National Park Service and the US Army Corps of Engineers are two
    separate government agencies. For more information: www.nps.gov or
    US Army Corps of Engineers - HQ

Thank you for using nps.gov

---
    I'll be happy to assist you with this issue.
    The National Parks are managed by the National Park Service, none by the
    ACOE.
    Sincerely,
    Ginny
    Recreation.gov
    ----------
    Thank you for taking the time to contact the Office of the Governor. We understand that you are
    concerned.
    I am asking Carter Smith, Executive Director of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, for
    his staff’s assistance in reviewing and responding both to you and this office on the information
    shared.
    Please let us know whenever we may be of service in the future.
    ---------
    Thank you for your interest in the Texas State Parks.

I did find a link for the Army Corps of Engineers Parks in Texas at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Corps Parks

I can not speak on the Rules and Regulations regarding handguns in these parks, however the Texas State Parks policy is as follows: A person can carry a loaded concealed handgun in Texas State Parks with a current and valid CHL license at anytime. Please remember that you must continue to follow all CHL rules while carrying in State Parks.

If you need further information, please contact the Law Enforcement Division. We hope to see you at a Texas State Park soon.

Park Information
    Texas Parks and Wildlife
    Ph: 512-389-8900

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Speaking of CHL holders carrying on Federal Land, I think borrowing a term from a sicko situation might be in order... "Don't ask, Don't tell"....and Don't get caught !!! But considering the value you put on your life and/or your family's lives, it is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...In the case of the Fort Hood massacre one might wonder if there were more CHLs and legal on base might the mass murderer swine been brought down sooner ? We will never know .....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Speaking of CHL holders carrying on Federal Land, I think borrowing a term from a sicko situation might be in order... "Don't ask, Don't tell"....and Don't get caught !!! But considering the value you put on your life and/or your family's lives, it is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...In the case of the Fort Hood massacre one might wonder if there were more CHLs and legal on base might the mass murderer swine been brought down sooner ? We will never know .....

Even suggesting to illegally carry on Federal property is treading on dangerous ground, get caught and prosecuted and it's a Federal conviction. If you are in the military and get caught, you can pretty much consider it the end of your career. I've seen it happen, but the individual was an idiot to begin with and it was inevitable he'd do something stupid.

Inasmuch as I don't agree with the rules and regulations, the consequences of breaking them is too great to even consider doing it...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

OK, I am now on board with this "concealed means concealed" and "better judged by twelve than carried by six" idiocy. Let's all become law breakers. If it suits ME, screw the law.

lilmikebme

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    faraway
    No, not on Federal property. It is the same as being on a military base....
    I was in the Armed Forces, and can tell you that Federal and State are two differant things, so no it is not like being on a military base becouse it is not Federal property; it is State property.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    House votes to allow firearms on lands managed by Army Corps
    By Pete Kasperowicz - 07/14/11 04:25 PM ET
    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...allow-firearms-on-lands-managed-by-army-corps

Altmire noted that he and Rep. Bob Gibbs (R-Ohio) have proposed a longer term solution to this problem, the Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act. A longer term answer would be needed, as Gosar's amendment would only apply to the next fiscal year, which begins October 1 2011.

H.R. 1865,
    Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act
    Congressman Bob Gibbs Introduces The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act | Congressman Bob Gibbs

Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act Congressman Bob Gibbs Introduces the Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act
    H.R. 1865, The Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act Introduced

Call your own congressmen to co-sponsor
    and support H.R. 1865, Recreational Lands Self-Defense Act here's a link to do that https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Even suggesting to illegally carry on Federal property is treading on dangerous ground, get caught and prosecuted and it's a Federal conviction. If you are in the military and get caught, you can pretty much consider it the end of your career. I've seen it happen, but the individual was an idiot to begin with and it was inevitable he'd do something stupid.

Inasmuch as I don't agree with the rules and regulations, the consequences of breaking them is too great to even consider doing it...

Off subject but, wife works on miltary post. We live 40 miles out and when we go to Killeen I do carry. Just sucks when you want/need to go on post because you can't with a firearm. I wish there was a drop off point where you paid ie. 5 bucks to leave your firearm while you go about business. A gun shop should start that, a gun check like a coat check. Sure would come in handy at times.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The whole concept of a government being able to use force to render a person defenseless is asinine. Not only that, it is immoral and illegal according to our Constitution.

Anyway, since the world is full of idiots and doesn't change based on my internet postings...I think gun checks (like coat checks) would be a great compromise for those locations that you can't carry. Also, if it's a government building (i.e. not private) where firearms are disallowed then they should be FORCED to provide such a check.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, and I hate to admit it but back during this thread I was misinformed about firearms on bases due mostly in part to the false information being put out on those facilities (Lackland AFB in particular ). I now know better!

As stated in the referenced thread, under Federal law it is OK to have personally-owned firearms on military installations but NOT in Federal facilities; but they could be prohibited by local command policy...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The President signed a Bill to allow concealed carry in National Parks that are within the States that allow concealed carry. One need only comply with State Law to carry in a National Park.

He did not make many friends with his Base on that one!

Be well.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Sorry to dig up this old thread but can anyone point me to the "tpwd.texas.gov" link that has the 98-001 executive order document? I looked through the TPWD site and found tons of signed executive orders but not that particular one.

Top Bottom