Join TexasGunTalk

Texas Stolen Gun Info - What to do.

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by pawncop, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Alrighty then....

2. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I replied to this post once already, but for some reason it disappeared. As mentioned, there is no firearms registration in Texas so either you are living somewhere else or you got back info. Secondly, unless the guns were reported stolen when they disappeared it's unlikely that the police will take action without proof of their theft. About the only option you have is to take with the family member that sold them and see if he would be willing to give you that person's contact info. If you're lucky and he does so, then maybe you can convince the buyer to sell the one you want back to you. Otherwise, you've not really go any recourse from what I see. It's a sad situation, and I'm doubtful that you'll be able to recover any of the weapons...

3. Cyndi Bowers

Cyndi Bowers New Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Cyndi Bowers

well It is just i as figured,,, since they were in fact registered i was thinking maybe that could find out that they were registered in his name (my Dad's that is ),,, As far checking with station were my grandpa well Goldsmith is a small town about 300 ,,, Ector County Sheriff now have that jurisdiction ,,, , when he served the town was more populated about 1500 ,,,tried contacting the step family members who did sell them suddenly they have amnesia,,lol,,, when i called them on the conversation they had with my aunt suddenly they became defensive . Their response was "prove it",, i have been advised to file theft against them in Polk County. It would allow an investigation to be opened in the matter. I have given them the option verbally to just return it ,,, and that will still be an option but if not that force me to take legal recourse. Any how thanks for your response to this.

4. tomballpa

tomballpa Member TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

That is NOT completely true. New Firearms sold through an FFL are 99.9% legit. With regards to buying a used firearm, pawnshops are actually one of the safer places. We have to report descriptions and serial #'s to the police for both loans and purchases of used guns. At my location, we have to hold the weapon 21 days while the police check the serial # against known stolen guns. Therefore in a sense, the weapon has been cleared.

Other FFL's do NOT HAVE TO REPORT serial numbers for used guns they purchase. I can tell you that the last 2 guns we had confiscated as stolen came from the same local dealer that shall remain unnamed.

Buying from an individual there is no way to know if stolen or not.

leVieux likes this.
  5. Kingarthur777

Kingarthur777 Active Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    Everything goes into NCIS, warrants, stolen property, runaways. My chief frustration is by NCIC rules, the Agency with the Warrant is supposed to respond within 10 minutes. That never, ever happens at least in my experience. You make the request in NCIC, then they want you to fax or e-mail a letterhead. Then within a day or so you get your warrant on the guy you have. Some places, are well, you places are "Well, you have them detained, so you can wait." But, you better believe you get a bench warrant from Harris County on a guy you have, he goes to HCSO toot sweet. Man, I am so glad I am retired.