• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    GOA's Rachel Malone writes that H.B. 2286, the bill that would remove Texas penalties on suppressors needs our help.

Conversely H.B. 545, the red flag bill that would make it a crime to even inadvertently sell a gun to someone who has ever been adjudicated mentally ill seems poised for passage and needs our opposition.

GOA asks that we call our state rep and offers a phone connection and text if you want to help.

https://gunowners.org/txstatealert5719/

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Great news for the suppressor law. Would be like Idaho maybe? Pretty cool. No stamps for suppressors! I love those words. Needs to be made real.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Great news for the suppressor law. Would be like Idaho maybe? Pretty cool. No stamps for suppressors! I love those words. Needs to be made real.
    It's not all great news for H.B.2286, because it is scheduled so late in the queue that the session will probably end before it comes to a vote, thus saving our "representatives" from having to make that controversial vote...

The red flag bill H.B.545 is scheduled earlier, at such a time that it will likely hit the floor for a vote before the session ends. Rachel Malone notes that it is rare for a bill to make it to the floor vote and not pass... This is one our "representatives" apparently want for us.

Texas is not safe from gun grabbers and anti-gunners, they just have to be more careful here...

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I sent the email but I don’t think it went to the right reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you used the link in the OP it would be a phone call not an email. It is pretty nice the way the GOA has it setup. Just enter your info and click the link and it will call your phone and when you answer it calls your rep's office.
    https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home
    If you want to email your rep you can find his email here.

Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    Just got this from Texas Gun Rights

**LEGISLATIVE UPDATE**

HB 545 is officially DEAD!

Thanks to your phone calls, urging your Representatives to oppose HB 545, Rep. Poncho Nevarez officially withdrew his gun control bill from consideration for a vote by the House of Representatives.

Want to help us keep getting wins like this?

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Passed the House as am mended... her is the amendment:
    upload_2019-5-10_6-58-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-10_6-58-58.png
      upload_2019-5-10_6-58-58.png
      22.7 KB · Views: 530

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    More good news... HB 2286, the suppressor bill, passed!

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=86R&Bill=HB2286

Unofficial Totals: 101 Yeas, 33 Nays, 2 Present, not voting
    This is great news, but it still feels like a couple bones thrown to us gun owners, compared to the constitutional carry steak we should have got...

Now, we have to wait for the Senate, but it should be more friendly! I'm not much worried about this passing the governor's desk.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    My question is how will this affect FFL's? How can they not follow the federal law and not run into trouble selling in the state? Wouldn't their license be at risk? Same goes for the manufacturer. Couldn't the federal government hold them accountable and shut them down? Also seems like a slippery way to lose your gun rights period if the federal government comes after you. Unlike pot, which has similar issues, I would imagine the ATF will hammer you on something like this.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My question is how will this affect FFL's? How can they not follow the federal law and not run into trouble selling in the state? Wouldn't their license be at risk? Same goes for the manufacturer. Couldn't the federal government hold them accountable and shut them down? Also seems like a slippery way to lose your gun rights period if the federal government comes after you. Unlike pot, which has similar issues, I would imagine the ATF will hammer you on something like this.
    I'm no lawyer, and came into knowledge of this bill late and could be wrong, but I think it has no practical effect except to establish Texas as having no law in opposition to federal law should Congress deschedule silencers from NFA.

It's really just a statement of support for John Cornyn's Senate Hearing Protection bill and a statement of Texas position on silencers.

I hope someone can tell me it's more...

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    HB545 needed to die, really stupid. 1) was just as bad, how does gun shop know when handing over a gun to prospective buyer to look at it?
    (2) intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases,
    or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child
    younger than 18 years of age any firearm, club, or
    location-restricted knife;
    IIRC a guy in Ks was prosecuted for having a suppressor under Fed. Law even though Ks doesn't have a restriction.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    From GOA,

"...in Texas, HB 2286 would keep state officials from arresting any gun owner who possessed a suppressor without paying the NFA tax."

The amendment passed in the House and posted above would allow those same state officials to support the feds arresting the same gunowner they couldn't arrest themselves, if I understand correctly.

It's a bone tossed to us that may have positive effect in the future, but is just there to placate us for now.

Top Bottom