Join TexasGunTalk

Texas Suppressor and Red Flag Laws

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by gll, May 7, 2019.

1. Shady

Shady TGT Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    Passed as in its going to the Gov desk ?

2. Wiliamr

Wiliamr Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Passed the House as am mended... her is the amendment:
    upload_2019-5-10_6-58-58.png

3. Wiliamr

Wiliamr Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Senate has to pass their version or a joint version then it would go to the governor

gll likes this.
  4. gll

gll Active Member

Jan 22, 2016
    This is great news, but it still feels like a couple bones thrown to us gun owners, compared to the constitutional carry steak we should have got...

Now, we have to wait for the Senate, but it should be more friendly! I'm not much worried about this passing the governor's desk.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

5. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    My question is how will this affect FFL's? How can they not follow the federal law and not run into trouble selling in the state? Wouldn't their license be at risk? Same goes for the manufacturer. Couldn't the federal government hold them accountable and shut them down? Also seems like a slippery way to lose your gun rights period if the federal government comes after you. Unlike pot, which has similar issues, I would imagine the ATF will hammer you on something like this.

6. gll

gll Active Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I'm no lawyer, and came into knowledge of this bill late and could be wrong, but I think it has no practical effect except to establish Texas as having no law in opposition to federal law should Congress deschedule silencers from NFA.

It's really just a statement of support for John Cornyn's Senate Hearing Protection bill and a statement of Texas position on silencers.

I hope someone can tell me it's more...

Pops1955 likes this.
  7. popper

popper Active Member

Apr 23, 2013
    HB545 needed to die, really stupid. 1) was just as bad, how does gun shop know when handing over a gun to prospective buyer to look at it?
    (2) intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases,
    or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child
    younger than 18 years of age any firearm, club, or
    location-restricted knife;
    IIRC a guy in Ks was prosecuted for having a suppressor under Fed. Law even though Ks doesn't have a restriction.

8. gll

gll Active Member

Jan 22, 2016
    From GOA,

"...in Texas, HB 2286 would keep state officials from arresting any gun owner who possessed a suppressor without paying the NFA tax."

The amendment passed in the House and posted above would allow those same state officials to support the feds arresting the same gunowner they couldn't arrest themselves, if I understand correctly.

It's a bone tossed to us that may have positive effect in the future, but is just there to placate us for now.

9. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    That’s what I’m talking about! Some good news for a change!!

10. Shady

Shady TGT Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    I guess its better than a Bump Stock ban

gll likes this.