• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stuohn101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Texas City
    Soo, the law that was signed, has no real legal protection on a federal level? From the little I've read from other states that have similar laws, the person selling and buying can and have been prosecuted and convicted by ATF. (Please correct me if wrong).
    Capitol Armory ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Simply put, suppressor are regulated at the federal level, so it really doesn't matter what a state passes as far as any laws stating whatever, the feds can and will prosecute you if you have not complied with federal law concerning them.

And yes, they have already prosecuted people where in states that had such laws. And the courts even upheld the convictions when the cases were appealed to a higher court.

So in nutshell, until the ATF makes different laws, it is what it is for now.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    In most cases where people (in the past) were charged for possession of a suppressor, it was initiated by a State/Local LEO organization and turned over to ATF for federal prosecution. Since Texas has made a statement and removed the criminality of suppressors from our penal code, the "Fed's" will likely have a much harder time even learning of the possession. IMHO

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Democrat neighbors still might snitch.
    I know of more than a few Dems who hold unregistered class 3 weapons and a few Elephants with whom I do not discuss firearm ownership. You gotta know threat recognition in this crazy environment. This is TGT however I do not talk about my hidden weapons , stored round count or other sensitive private information here. I do enjoy hearing about ideas and techniques and share some of mine.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I know of more than a few Dems who hold unregistered class 3 weapons and a few Elephants with whom I do not discuss firearm ownership. You gotta know threat recognition in this crazy environment. This is TGT however I do not talk about my hidden weapons , stored round count or other sensitive private information here. I do enjoy hearing about ideas and techniques and share some of mine.

Didn't you kind of just do that....

6&10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2021
    Texas
    Soo, the law that was signed, has no real legal protection on a federal level? From the little I've read from other states that have similar laws, the person selling and buying can and have been prosecuted and convicted by ATF. (Please correct me if wrong).

No, this is quite correct

Simply put, suppressor are regulated at the federal level, so it really doesn't matter what a state passes as far as any laws stating whatever, the feds can and will prosecute you if you have not complied with federal law concerning them.

And yes, they have already prosecuted people where in states that had such laws. And the courts even upheld the convictions when the cases were appealed to a higher court.

Excellent posts. This is merely a "feel good" law, perhaps submitted as a challenge to the BATF. My understanding that Gov. Abbot has announced his intentions to seek re-election? [Don't know about Lt.Gov. Patrick.]
    No, this is quite correct.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No, this is quite correct

Excellent posts. This is merely a "feel good" law, perhaps submitted as a challenge to the BATF. My understanding that Gov. Abbot has announced his intentions to seek re-election? [Don't know about Lt.Gov. Patrick.]
    No, this is quite correct.

Welcome to the Forum!

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    This completely slipped under my radar. I wasn't aware until he signed it that it was even being discussed.

While it's more or less symbolic for now, it's a bold and necessary symbol and a much bigger deal than some are giving it credit for.

I dismissed the "2A Sanctuary State" posturing earlier in the year precisely because at the time we still had laws like this at the state level. If we're serious about it, we must take these laws off our own books. So good job and kudos to Abbott on this one.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Frankly I find it very much just being symbolic. It has no real authority to back it up. Federal government still has the jurisdiction over any items that are NFA controlled and regulated. Not the states.

Such cases have already been prosecuted in other states and convictions in those other states, and convictions upheld in higher courts when those convictions were appealed.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in this law, unless a person plans on being the next test case for legal circus that would follow.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    What if you use a firearm with a suppressor that is not NFA registered to defend yourself at home? I assume that the case would only be handled by Texas law enforcement so there would be no Federal involvement so no ATF to worry about right?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    What if you use a firearm with a suppressor that is not NFA registered to defend yourself at home? I assume that the case would only be handled by Texas law enforcement so there would be no Federal involvement so no ATF to worry about right?

And you think that would slip past the media not to say something about the suppressor being used? As soon as the Feds heard anything about that, they would be on it like a duck going after a june bug.

Top Bottom