Texas town makes shooting dogs legal

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by slim jim, Dec 27, 2008.

1. slim jim

slim jim Official News Guy

Mar 18, 2008
    :headscratch:

US Town Makes Shooting Dogs Legal

Animal rights groups are furious after a Texas town gave its authories the right to bear arms against wild dogs.

The controversial policy is the latest attempt to curb a growing population of feral dogs that are roaming the streets.
    Since last week, authorities have been allowed to use shotguns to kill the 50 to 100 aggressive dogs running loose in the rural northern town of Ferris.
    City manager David Chavez said the town had become a dumping ground for the unwanted pets.
    The released animals breed, form packs and scavenge for food.
    Police chief Frank Mooney says the town has tried other methods to protect its 2,300 residents with little success.
    But animal rights advocates say the problem could be solved in better ways.
    They argue the animals could be trapped, or punishment meted out on those who dump the dogs.
    Ferris is about 20 miles south of Dallas in the Lone Star state.

US Texas Town Makes Shooting Dogs Legal: Animal Rights Groups Furious In Ferris, South Of Dallas | World News | Sky News

2. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    People make a bigger stink of stray dogs getting killed than they do for humans....
    I can't believe this is even news

3. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I wish we could dispatch stray dogs around here. I live in a small town of about 200 people and others come from all around and drop off unwanted dogs here....there's prolly 60 strays running around here right now.

4. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Perhaps the animal rights groups would accomplish more if they put their energy into solving the problem rather than stirring up a lot of media. Maybe they ought to head over there, collect all the dogs, and adopt them.

5. Double Naught Spy

Double Naught Spy Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    It isn't exactly that Ferris has made shooting dogs legal given that it is only an option for LEOs.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I never thought it wasn't legal to shoot a dog. It's not considered a wandering animal like a cat.

7. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    I can't believe what I'm hearing. I understand not wanting to take Peta's side, and I can understand if we were talking about strictly shooting aggressive strays, who pose a threat. But if they're running around shooting everything that wags, I'm a bit appalled. I am an owner of 2 strays, dropped off in the hill country. Granted, rabid or wounded is another story. But isn't it already legal to dispatch an animal that poses you a threat, be it four legged or two? Perhaps I don't understand the scope, or the whole story, but I'd pickup a phone to find it a home before I send it to meet its maker, simply because it has no collar. My grandfather used to run around with a boot and a pair of scissors, that would solve half the problem right there.

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Regardless of any City law; here is the state law;

Generally it is illegal to shoot a Dog or even a wandering cat. Looks like Public Servants can. Humm.

9. djspump2003

djspump2003 Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    See, this is weird since I thought Judge Judy covered this in an episode before Oprah came on the other day.

She (Judge Judy) ruled that if the animal posed a threat to the person or person's property they were on, then it was legal to dispatch them.

I guess that wasn't Texas, though, so it was legal there.

Sorry - just read through 42.09.d.1 and found that it is a legal defense for self defense if you catch the dog in the act. But how do you get the feral dog's owner's permission to poison it if it is a feral dog? By definition, feral means that the animal has returned to its wild state. Therefore, it would either be impossible to find the owner or there is no owner any longer.

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In the act of what? A dog is NOT a dangerous wild animal as defined by Section 822.101, Health and Safety Code.

Nothing in chapter 42 allows the shooting of a dog.

Yep