• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    The wife and I have decided to take a Texas vacation this year. With all the COVID travel restrictions, and patchwork of gun laws across the country, we are going to spend our travel money right here in Texas. And for the few non-Texans that wander onto this forum, let me assure you that a person can travel in Texas for a month and not see half of it. Here's a few facts about Texas that you may not know (all distances from Google Maps).

Texarkana to El Paso – 812 miles
    Dalhart to Brownsville – 865 miles
    Orange to El Paso – 851 miles

Sand Diego, CA is closer to El Paso (724 miles) than Orange, TX is.

Chicago, IL is closer to Texarkana (783 miles) than El Paso is.

Beaumont is closer to Atlanta (709 miles) than it is to Dalhart (727 miles), or El Paso (827 miles).

St. Louis is closer to Dalhart (764 miles) than Brownsville is.

And here’s a few routes that would fit completely inside Texas:
    Cleveland OH to Boston MA (640 miles)
    New York City to Charlotte SC (637 miles)
    Chicago to Alanta GA (686 miles)
    Denver to Las Vegas NV (749 miles)

As a 6th generation Texan it embarrasses me a bit to say that there are parts of this great state I have not visited. I intend to knock a few of those off the list this year and keep the money in Texas.
    Hurley's Gold

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Partner, I have lived in and about Texas for almost sixty years and though I have seen a lot of Texas, there is still lots I haven't seen and still want to see.

The wife and I love traveling Texas and exploring Texas history and culture. In 2005, I took my wife to see the Alamo for her first time. I think I have been at least a dozen times over the years and visiting the Alamo never gets old for me.

There is so much to see in Texas. All sorts of history.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    With almost 700,000 MILES of roads in Texas, I think it's more like one could travel in texas for over 243 DAYS, 24 hour days at that, and only barely see 1/2 of texas. Literally... (and that's calculated at 60mph, which likely would be impossible...

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Partner, I have lived in and about Texas for almost sixty years and though I have seen a lot of Texas, there is still lots I haven't seen and still want to see.

The wife and I love traveling Texas and exploring Texas history and culture. In 2005, I took my wife to see the Alamo for her first time. I think I have been at least a dozen times over the years and visiting the Alamo never gets old for me.

There is so much to see in Texas. All sorts of history.

I've seen a lot of Texas. I was born here over six decades ago. But there is still more to see. And I would rather spend the money in Texas this year. I doubt I will ever see all of Texas that I want to. I have not been to the San Jacinto monument, and my great, great, grandfather is mentioned in the museum there. He fought there. I have not been to South Padre, or Big Bend National Park. There are other places on my to do list.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

As our "friendly neighborhood native Northeast Texican", I would suggest that everyone make a pilgrimage up to JEFFERSON, to CADDO LAKE STATE PARK & then on to TYLER to see the TYLER ROSE GARDENS.
    (Caddo Lake State Park is BEAUTIFUL & the park has "CHEAP TO RENT" cabins, that are quite near the water.)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've seen a lot of Texas. I was born here over six decades ago. But there is still more to see. And I would rather spend the money in Texas this year. I doubt I will ever see all of Texas that I want to. I have not been to the San Jacinto monument, and my great, great, grandfather is mentioned in the museum there. He fought there. I have not been to South Padre, or Big Bend National Park. There are other places on my to do list.

I hear ya. There are still hundreds of places I have read about, or seen on various programs on TV that I would love to visit.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    To All,

As our "friendly neighborhood native Northeast Texican", I would suggest that everyone make a pilgrimage up to JEFFERSON, to CADDO LAKE STATE PARK & then on to TYLER to see the TYLER ROSE GARDENS.
    (Caddo Lake State Park is BEAUTIFUL & the park has "CHEAP TO RENT" cabins, that are quite near the water.)

yours, satx

That is definitely worth seeing. Been there.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Worth it. Do the show and streak dinner before hand.

About the only place I haven’t been in this great state is Midland/Odessa - Monahans area but ‘n not a desert or sand dune guy.

ETA: for a taste of the old world, hit the painted churches in/around Schulenberg.
    see the metor crater

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Dog Canyon.
    Yeah, you gotta get there from New Mexico.
    Plan a few more days and visit Alpine and Ft. Davis.
    Big Bend is a "lot of the same as you saw getting there". Unless you feel the need to dip your toes in the Rio Grande.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Dog Canyon.
    Yeah, you gotta get there from New Mexico.
    Plan a few more days and visit Alpine and Ft. Davis.
    Big Bend is a "lot of the same as you saw getting there". Unless you feel the need to dip your toes in the Rio Grande.
    Drive the river road.

Top Bottom