• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Most cities i have lived in also have city ordinance against parking in handicapped spots. Have yet to hear of a successful appeal.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Not knowing the exact wording of the law...

There is a law against parking in handicap spots without proper licensing. In a public lot or on a public road, then it would be perfectly legal for a citation to be written. However, on private property, there may be enough to say it's not legal. Just like the cop couldn't write a ticket for driving without a license because it was private property.

It is perfectly legal to cite a vehicle (not a driver, but a vehicle) for being illegally parked in a HC spot on private property. I do it all the time, and Walmart parking lots areit!torious for ita

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    By the way, here are the sections of the Texas Transportation Code that covers handicapped parking on private property...

Sec. 681.009. DESIGNATION OF PARKING SPACES BY POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OR PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNER.
    (a) A political subdivision or a person who owns or controls property used for parking may designate one or more parking spaces or a parking area for the exclusive use of vehicles transporting persons with disabilities.
    (b) A political subdivision must designate a parking space or area by conforming to the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation under Section 5(i), Article 9102, Revised Statutes, relating to the identification and dimensions of parking spaces for persons with disabilities. A person who owns or controls private property used for parking may designate a parking space or area without conforming to those standards and specifications, unless required to conform by law.
    (c) A political subdivision may require a private property owner or a person who controls property used for parking:
    (1) to designate one or more parking spaces or a parking area for the exclusive use of vehicles transporting persons with disabilities; or
    (2) to conform to the standards and specifications referred to in Subsection (b) when designating a parking space or area for persons with disabilities.
    (d) The department shall provide at cost a design and stencil for use by a political subdivision or person who owns or controls property used for parking to designate spaces as provided by this section
    (e) Parking spaces or areas designated for the exclusive use of vehicles transporting persons with disabilities may be used by vehicles displaying a white on blue shield disabled parking placard, license plates issued under Section 504.201 or 504.202, or a white on red shield disabled parking placard.

Sec. 681.010. ENFORCEMENT.
    (a) A peace officer or a person designated by a political subdivision to enforce parking regulations may file a charge against a person who commits an offense under this chapter at a parking space or area designated as provided by Section 681.009.
    (b) A security officer commissioned under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, and employed by the owner of private property may file a charge against a person who commits an offense under this chapter at a parking space or area designated by the owner of the property as provided by Section 681.009. Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 14.840, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    By the way, here are the sections of the Texas Transportation Code that covers handicapped parking on private property...

Sec. 681.009. DESIGNATION OF PARKING SPACES BY POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OR PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNER.

So another words, it's a written law and therefore enforceable as stated within that law, as opposed to say speeding on private property or operating a MV w/o a license. By not being written anywhere in the law makes those types of actions unenforceable.

Big Jim P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    CenTex
    I'm actually a fan of having an inspection every year. While it's a huge PITA and I used to hate it, working in Oklahoma for 6 months and noticing some of the wrecks on the road made me appreciate why we have an inspection system in Texas.

Just so long as it never gets out of hand. A buddy of mine told me about what they do in NY and it's pretty much stealing. Nearly impossible to pass a yearly inspection there without having some sort of maintenance done.

Yep. If you don't close your gas cap tight enough, your check engine light goes off, and your car will not pass inspection. To reset the cars computer your mechanic has to hook it up to another computer networked to the DMV. Of course you pay for this.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Yep. If you don't close your gas cap tight enough, your check engine light goes off, and your car will not pass inspection. To reset the cars computer your mechanic has to hook it up to another computer networked to the DMV. Of course you pay for this.
    Or you just tighten the gas cap and reset it with an OBDII scanner. Most auto parts (autozone, O'Reilly's, etc) will do it for free. Other option is to pull the battery cable for a minute. Another option is to drive it a few times (warm up and complete cool down) and it'll reset itself. Don't need any conspiracy theories here.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    SC has no inspection now. You can pay your tax/vehicle reg by mail once you are in the system and they send you a new two-digit year sticker for your plate (only rear plates in SC).

same thing in NV. but there i was paying use tax of about $400/year for my car. Here, it's a flat $60. We just had emissions tests out there, but no safety. There were so many accidents due to bald tires, etc it was insane. It also didnt help that undocumented democrats just drove without plates everywhere and they got a free pass.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    It is perfectly legal to cite a vehicle (not a driver, but a vehicle) for being illegally parked in a HC spot on private property. I do it all the time, and Walmart parking lots areit!torious for ita

I do not know if you're a police officer but if you are THANK YOU! Nail each and everyone of those that abuse or violate those spots. There are people out there that need them.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom