• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Perhaps the best argument for going to license plate validation stickers? The only places in the US that use window stickers are ... wait for it ... Texas, New York, and Washington DC. ;)

And VA, NJ, PA, and about another 40 states.
    Texas SOT

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've always wanted to go by the letter of the law, just to have some fun. For instance, you have to have functioning windshield wipers, but it doesn't say you have to have a windshield. High beam indicator but not high beams themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    How will this work for military members with Texas registration in other states? My son will be out of state with Texas registration. Can he still complete his registration by mail if he is not in state to get an inspection?

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I could care less about registration stickers or inspection. What i do care about is that the a hole that plows into me has insurance

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    41CWdBr0izL._SY300_.jpg

$87 Harley Honker Upgrade

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Awhile back, they instituted a system where the DPS knows whether you have insurance, so when you go to renew your registration, you don't need to bring proof of insurance anymore. You also don't need to carry your insurance card with you anymore. Before that, they allowed you to carry an electronic image of it (JPG, PDF, etc), but now, you don't even need that. For those of us who are too forgetful to remove any of the insurance papers out of our car that have accumulated over the last 10 years, this means that we're not searching through the car for the current one while the officer is standing beside the window. The bad thing though is that the cops in some jurisdictions these days have automatic license plate scanners and there's nothing stopping them from using this system to tell them if any car they meet has current registration, insurance, and inspection. As someone who tends not to notice that their registration or inspection needs renewal until after it has been out of date for a few weeks, I'm not particularly fond of giving the cops the ability to automatically get that information when their car goes past yours. I think that cops should be required to have reasonable cause before they run your plates for info. When you start giving them too much power, it potential for abuse is high.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've always wanted to go by the letter of the law, just to have some fun. For instance, you have to have functioning windshield wipers, but it doesn't say you have to have a windshield. High beam indicator but not high beams themselves.
    You have to have reverse lights, but don't have to have reverse. I do that every year with one of my cars :laughing:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    You have to have reverse lights, but don't have to have reverse. I do that every year with one of my cars :laughing:

I've done it with the high beams. HID conversion (done correctly, none of the jackass stuff) and lost high beams in the factory housing. Installed other lights for the high beams. Typically get a "I don't know if this is legal ..." and that's when I've got to tell them that the law doesn't say WHAT lights have to be high beam, nor that they even have to work. It only states that the high beam indicator has to work.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Oh yeah, I did read the article. Just wondering if I will have to get my vehicle inspected in June, and then again within 90 days of my November registration renewal.

From the article:

"For example, if someone’s registration expires in May and their inspection tag expires in June, they will not have to get their car tested until prior to renewing in May 2016."

"If someone’s inspection sticker expires in May but their registration is up in June, they will have to get an inspection."

So ... if your inspection expires in June 2015, and your Registration is in November 2015, then in June 2015 you'll have to get the inspection and in November 2015 you won't have to get an inspection done (just registration). June 2016 doesn't matter anymore, but once November 2016 comes around, you will have to get the inspection and registration done then.

I kind of like it to the point that everything is done on the same month. Always hated having the registration and inspection due different months and only way to really fix it was to get the inspection done early ... and I'm not about to give the state free money. HOWEVER, I foresee this being a bigger headache for us.

MCA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Priddy, TX
    What do you need to do if you have a car that is with a kid in college on the East coast and won't be back in the state until 2 or 3 months after the inspection and registration expire? I see that I might be able to get the reg updated on line ... but don't see a solution for the inspection.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    So you go get the vehicle inspected, get a piece of paper that says so, go to tax office, pay registration, and get single sticker?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    So you go get the vehicle inspected, get a piece of paper that says so, go to tax office, pay registration, and get single sticker?
    It looks like DPS was suppose to set it up where the inspection station will be communicating with DPS, so online registration, or registering at the office just as you have may still be ok. Perhaps, it'll just be a matter of their database checking another database for it. ???????

Top Bottom