• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    From what i got in the news is you still have to get inspection. You get that first and then you get registration after proof of inspection

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    LOL!! Just adds to the paperwork that you may or may not need to get your registration sticker.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    They'll make sure that the price increases or an additional fee is added, too. These things never get cheaper!

Flash

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I wonder how that is going to work when my inspection expires in June and the registration expires in November? Hopefully there will be a grace period on the inspection until November.

If there is one thing I dread, it's the annual ritual of taking my 3 vehicles in for the state inspection. Two are in the same month. I noticed this last time, that they didn't drive the vehicles. They usually drive around a couple of blocks to check the brakes and overall driveability. I live in one of those counties where the emissions inspection is required. An extra $16 for that.

And of course there is the obligatory up-sell. Everything from wiper blades to brake system flushes to valve cover gaskets.

Last edited:

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I'm actually a fan of having an inspection every year. While it's a huge PITA and I used to hate it, working in Oklahoma for 6 months and noticing some of the wrecks on the road made me appreciate why we have an inspection system in Texas.

Just so long as it never gets out of hand. A buddy of mine told me about what they do in NY and it's pretty much stealing. Nearly impossible to pass a yearly inspection there without having some sort of maintenance done.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I found a little shop that only does stickers, close to work, looks like hell, and is never busy. I roll in, 10 minutes later I roll out with a sticker. No up-sell because they don't do repairs, but they actually do the full inspection and let you know of any problems (like 1 of the 2 license plate light bulbs was out on my truck - it passed the inspection, but he let me know). He doesn't drive it far, just around his parking lot, but enough to check everything on the list.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Huge PITA is right. Used to be, you could drive right up and get inspected in 15 minutes. Now, there are always "3 or 4 in front of you", or "Our inspector won't be here for another hour", or "Can't do it today, we're out of stickers".

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I wonder how that is going to work when my inspection expires in June and the registration expires in November? Hopefully there will be a grace period on the inspection until November.
    Article says you have to get the inspection within 90 days of registration.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    There will still be a safety inspection. Probably some sort of form you show or present the DMV before you can get registration.

Currently, an inspection station collects money for the inspection and sends the state a portion of those monies.
    The new process is the DMV will collect the state's portion of the inspection at the time of registration.

Reading between the lines, inspection stations will be free to charge what they want to fill out the form (or whatever) to show the DMV.

The form has to be dated within 90 days prior to the registration expiration.

The transition is outlined in the linked article:

To smooth out the transition to one sticker, someone will be able to register their car in 2015 provided their inspection is valid at the time they renew. For example, if someone’s registration expires in May and their inspection tag expires in June, they will not have to get their car tested until prior to renewing in May 2016.

If someone’s inspection sticker expires in May but their registration is up in June, they will have to get an inspection

Bottom line ... costs are going up ...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Huge PITA is right. Used to be, you could drive right up and get inspected in 15 minutes. Now, there are always "3 or 4 in front of you", or "Our inspector won't be here for another hour", or "Can't do it today, we're out of stickers".
    That's the story with a lot of the chain joints. Avoid them. Case in point, I got a flyer in the mail for a chain auto repair joint, offering a discount on inspections. So I dropped by on the way into work one morning, planned to be about an hour late no big deal. So I walk in, talk to counter guy, and after typical BS niceties he says we'll let you know when it's ready and points me to the waiting room. I ask "about how long do you expect?" His cheery reply floored me. "We should be able to get to yours in about 45 minutes, you only have one vehicle ahead of yours and it's already up on the rack!" "45 minutes?" I say. "What in front of an inspection could possibly take over 45 minutes?" An OIL CHANGE. I collect my things, say thanks for your time, and start to leave. He then offers to drop me off at work. For an inspection. Really? No.

The stocking part is it takes them an hour to do an oil change. The more shocking part is they apparently only have one tech to do oil changes and inspections. Pretty safe to say that's one place I'll never use.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    41CWdBr0izL._SY300_.jpg

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Last time I had an inspection I took it to a shop run by a friend of mine. No problem getting an inspection and he's not going to upsell me anything I don't need. It's good to know people. Before that, if I knew I didn't need anything fixed, I just found a place that wasn't busy and went on my lunch break. I would wave away anyone walking up to me with a dirty air filter or some other part that came out of my car, told them to put it back and let me know when the inspection was done.

I guess the way this will work in the future is I will have to time the inspection and registration because I imagine losing your proof of inspection will be met with about the same level of sympathy any other problem you report to the DMV gets. I hate our local office.

Top Bottom