• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    This really sucks! Hope it gets appealed all the way if necessary. I put it in Politics due to the voting aspect.

Texas violating motor-voter law, U.S. judge rules
    By Chuck Lindell - American-Statesman Staff
    https://www.mystatesman.com/news/st...voter-law-judge-rules/p3FEObLEgb7JS5ZmcnbNQJ/

A federal judge has sided with a civil rights group that accused Texas officials of violating U.S. law by failing to automatically register voters who go online to obtain or renew a driver’s license.

The one-page order by U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia of San Antonio — who said a full opinion explaining his reasoning will be released within two weeks — means Texas will be forced to change its online registration to comply with the “motor-voter” provisions of the 1993 National Voter Registration Act, said Beth Stevens with the Texas Civil Rights Project.

“For too long, the state of Texas has ignored federal voting rights laws intended to ensure that all eligible voters have an opportunity to register to vote. Even worse, because of these failures, countless Texans have been prevented from casting a ballot that counts, thereby unlawfully shutting people out of our democratic process,” Stevens said.

The ruling could affect almost 1.5 million Texans who renew their driver’s licenses online annually, court records show.
    Target Sports

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I wonder if garcia is as concerned about this as he is about illegal aliens in Texas. are they going to check if someone is a citizen before registering them? or is any asshole with a texas dl going to be registered to vote?

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I wonder if garcia is as concerned about this as he is about illegal aliens in Texas.
    I am guessing that you already know the answer to that.

Are they going to check if someone is a citizen before registering them?
    If not, it will makes us just like cali in this regard.

or is any ******* with a texas dl going to be registered to vote?
    Sounds like it to me. I hope there is more to this story. Hopefully AG Paxton et al will release a statement on this.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    A federal judge has sided with a civil rights group that accused Texas officials of violating U.S. law by failing to automatically register voters who go online to obtain or renew a driver’s license.

Hmm. Wouldn't doing this be a trap to make people instant felons? For example, lots of folks are here from other countries, and cannot vote of course but can get a DL. So instantly registering them puts them in jeopardy.

Then you have other non-citizens, who do not know better. They get a voter ID card in mail, and think that means they can legally vote, and then commit felonies.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Hmm. Wouldn't doing this be a trap to make people instant felons? For example, lots of folks are here from other countries, and cannot vote of course but can get a DL. So instantly registering them puts them in jeopardy.

Then you have other non-citizens, who do not know better. They get a voter ID card in mail, and think that means they can legally vote, and then commit felonies.
    If it is illegal for me to vote, and someone else registers me to vote, I don't see how I could be held liable for someone else's actions unless I did actually vote. And even then, I think it might even be defensible.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Prolly the reason TxDPS doesn't automatically register everyone, cause not every DL holder is a legal citizen and not able to vote. I see this going down like Commyfornia, every jackwagon with a DL has the right to vote, legal or not. And seeing that judge Garcia is far left, i believe he's stacking the odds to one side.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Simple solution. Kill the online renewals and make everyone have to go down to the local DOS station and show proof of citizenship before renewal and registration as a voter if qualified. Then hand out judge jack wagons address for complaints.

There was a time I couldn’t renew online cause I didn’t have my SSN on file and verified. Think it was when they updated to the RealID stuff. Doesn’t seem hard to add a step to the online process where the system verifies that they have a valid SSN for you then asks if you want to be registered to vote.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't think I've been automatically registered in Washington or Oregon, they always asked if I wanted to vote after I verified citizen status, this is new to me.

Mungle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    “For too long, the state of Texas has ignored federal voting rights laws intended to ensure that all eligible voters have an opportunity to register to vote. Even worse, because of these failures, countless Texans have been prevented from casting a ballot that counts, thereby unlawfully shutting people out of our democratic process,” [Beth] Stevens [with the Texas Civil Rights Project] said.
    She said it ....

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I’m confused. What is stopping anyone from going on line, to a post office, UPS store and registering to vote?

If they are free to do so, how are their civil rights being violated.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I’m confused. What is stopping anyone from going on line, to a post office, UPS store and registering to vote?

If they are free to do so, how are their civil rights being violated.
    You and might agree, but the San Antonio federal judge does not.
    Motor voter is the child of the 1993 National Voter Registration Act.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Far as I know there is no law saying you have to register to vote. I was asked if I wanted to register to vote when I got my Tx DL, they didn't automatically register me. I'm not sure I'm understanding the automatic part.

tonyt79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2017
    Lavon
    Far as I know there is no law saying you have to register to vote. I was asked if I wanted to register to vote when I got my Tx DL, they didn't automatically register me. I'm not sure I'm understanding the automatic part.

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapakattack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    DFW Area
    I see it as a way to bloat the roles. Can't show fraud when everyone is registered and gives an excuse to those ineligible to vote: "I thought since I was registered that I could vote!"

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    I am guessing that you already know the answer to that.

If not, it will makes us just like cali in this regard.

Sounds like it to me. I hope there is more to this story. Hopefully AG Paxton et al will release a statement on this.

I'm curious where CA is going to stand in a few years on this. Got this email from Discount Gun Mart, a small local shop in San Diego I used to be a patron of:

Recently, California DMV began issuing all renewed and new issue
    driver's licenses as AB60 compliant licenses - even for US citizens and
    permanent resident Aliens.

CA AB60 was signed into law by Governor Brown and mandates that the DMV
    issue driver's licenses regardless of immigration status. All licenses
    issued after January 22, 2018 fall into this category UNLESS you go
    these extra steps: apply for and get issued a "REAL ID" which involves
    taking additional documents to the DMV in person.

For further information and images showing the REAL ID:
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid

To prevent possible delays on firearm purchases, DGM encourages all of
    our customers to apply for a REAL ID when you renew your driver's
    license. THIS CANNOT BE DONE BY MAIL.

You will need a REAL ID when you want to fly or access military bases
    or federal facilities after October 2020, (only about 2 1/2 years from
    now), unless you also have a passport.

AB60 compliant licenses state on the face "FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY" and
    "This card is not acceptable for official federal purposes." on the back.

For more information on how this affects CA firearm buyers, see the
    CRPA website article:
    https://www.crpa.org/crpa-news/real-id-update-part-3/

Thank you for your continued patronage!

Curious if they'll be automatically registering folks online even though they require you to come in for a "Real ID".

Top Bottom