Guns International

TexasGunTrader.com now charging for ads...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wilded

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Texas
    I will say that the forum is made up of each person on it. I have a couple of sites and have been involved with some forums in other sports. Lose the people and you will have a dead forum and end up shutting it down. Texas gun trader has had only a few ads placed in the last 24 hours, watch and see what happens to it. I also do not see how a forum owner can be held responsible for what someone does off site. If that holds true forums all over the world will shut down.I can assure you that what goes on on craigslists, gunbroker and other sites is not always legal. JMHO
    DK Firearms

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I think we should take note, we get this site for free.
    In todays sue happy world I understand the loss of gun sales here.
    A gun accessories section would be nice, and it holds much less liability.
    And $5 to sell a gun, at todays prices, is not a bad deal.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    What's this "our" crap? It's not your website, it's Alan's, and it is most assuredly his problem if someone was using his website to sell guns illegally...and it's his right to do something about it. He doesn't have to answer to you in that regard.

Also, how in hell can you verify the legitimacy of an ad just by "checking" it? How do you know that I am not a convicted felon, or the gun that I am listing is not stolen, etc?

:rolleyes:

hey man im just saying none of the adds looked out of the ordinary. Its funny how when its time to contribute something its our site. Or its our site lets keep it clean, or its our site lets make it grow, Lets spread the word about our site.. until someone wants to make a buck then its HIS site.. you can keep it. Go ahead and cancel my account cuzz I would rather be apart of something else. So much for Texas hospitality.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Easy, guys - A2me, think about it a bit - someone disagreed with your comments, yer gonna bail? C'mon - surely your skin is thicker'n that! An' because of ONE persons' comments, your gonna whup out your brush and color ALL of us the same? How is that any different than what you're protesting???

While the ad may look legit, it's pretty obvious that one of 'em wasn't - and from Alan's perspective, why on EARTH would he want to risk everything HE owns? I can't blame him for that - obviously, the other site realized that it was a perfect time to jump in and start charging a fee. What I think they did NOT count on was folks being perfectly willing to jump to other (free) venues still available. They'd have been better served to have started w/a 50 cent fee, then gradually increase - but they got greedy (IMO).

TXSUT, the name calling.....c'mon, at LEAST ya coulda done was accuse him of bein' a Liberal - or a Yankee! :)) But seriously - I understand the sentiment, but wouldn't we ALL have been better served by instead engaging him in a rational arguement/discourse?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    hey man im just saying none of the adds looked out of the ordinary. Its funny how when its time to contribute something its our site. Or its our site lets keep it clean, or its our site lets make it grow, Lets spread the word about our site.. until someone wants to make a buck then its HIS site.. you can keep it. Go ahead and cancel my account cuzz I would rather be apart of something else. So much for Texas hospitality.

I think you just proved, you are "apart".

You and some of the others feel so entitled, yet look at how you stand on politics. You live at one end and talk from the other.

Good luck.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    While the ad may look legit, it's pretty obvious that one of 'em wasn't

There's a reason I was always so "vocal" about the classifieds and how people used/abused them. I have now idea what happened or if anything really happened (no reason to think nothing did) but it smelled of problems, as do many of the other ones that got listed.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX

There was a seller with adds that looked inappropriate to me. I do not know if it is the one mentioned or not but is a good example. This is our site, Alan has graciously provided it to us with no membership fees. This does not mean we get to do what we please. As far as your someone wanting to make a buck reference I'm not sure where that was aimed so I'll not respond to it.

As for the cancelling of accounts, all you have to do is log out and not return. If you truly object to something being done here it should be that simple.

Footnote: accordingtoome is still logged on as of the time I typed this reply.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Footnote: accordingtoome is still logged on as of the time I typed this reply.

Of course. Hopefully, he'll realize that leaving the site gains him nothing, other than loss of information.

Now, ya'll excuse me - I've gotta go track the shipment of mah new (ta me) Randall - this'll make 4....I want MORE!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow, reading some of the replies and rants here about the whole classifieds ordeal, it sounds like some people here are not too experienced with forums or the internet. ;) When it comes to internet forums guys, this is the way it goes. There is simply no way it is going to be 100% perfect for everybody.

Yes, there was indeed a seller with some shady ads (nothing apparent on the surface but definitely not legit). Unfortunately we currently live in the age of liability. Anyone at any time or place can be sued for anything whether there is a basis for it or not. Even a baseless lawsuit would bankrupt Alan and I both. Now there is no more liability issue. Problem solved.

I'll say this much, I'd stick around or you're going to miss a lot of great stuff that you won't find at too many other firearms enthusiast forums. ;) Over the course of this year and into the future I, as well as Alan I'm sure, am going to start adding quite a bit more media rich content such as videos, video reviews, how to videos, and as many other innovative and entertaining things as we can think of. Gone will be the days of browsing through millions of lines of text to find some obscure answer to a question about a problem you might be having with a firearm. Personally, I like simple, and watching quick vids is a lot more appealing to me than reading novel-sized posts like I have been known to type. ;) Anyways, that's another subject I'll get into elsewhere later. Come on guys, where's that Texan spirit! Thanks to EVERYONE'S help here, we've expanded drastically and accomplished a lot for having not even been up a full year yet. There is plenty more to come so don't get disheartened.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom