• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    So, I talked with an outfitter today, and we can get on a field the 19th, for $75/day/person. The fields are in the Cleburne area, about 45 minutes south of Fort Worth. He said late season in that area is usually pretty good, but of course no guarantees. If weather is bad (rain), or aboslutly no birds, he would allow a reschedule.

This is the closed in area I could find, and should be a reasonable drive from most DFW.

So who wants to go? We'll need to tell them for sure in the next week or so, and get it firmed up.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    sounds a little expensive, but with a no bird bad weather clause, shouldn't be too bad...

i'm in

They all seem to run from about $50 up to $100. The cheaper places are further out. Unless someone else has a different lead. If anyone wants to talk with the guy I did, I'll pass on his number. Seems like a really nice guy.

There was also another outfitter I looked at with areas up north of Denton, but seems they only have season leases for dove. $275 for the season. That's not bad if you're going to go out 4 or 5 times, but II doubt I could get out that much.

redfred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    La Porte
    If anybody is interested in the public hunting places, there are 2 in Cooke County near Gainesville, and 6 in Denton County just west of Denton. I hunted most of them last year and always saw a few doves at least. There's also a lot of public land on Ray Roberts Lake. I think I'll try my luck on Ray Roberts on Opening day and the first weekend, because the areas near Denton are usually pretty busy on weekends.
    The advantage of the public lands is that for $48 you can hunt as many times as you want in dozens of areas all over the state (not just doves, but all kinds of game including deer) without reservations. The disadvantage is that you sometimes have to fight some pretty big crowds. But I'm a cheapskate, and usually meet some pretty neat hunters, so I don't mind.
    My vote would be for a public lands hunt, but I'm open to other places. There are a lot advertised in the paper, and tons on Hunt Texas [url]https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/hunt_lease/index.php[/URL]
    I'm just getting antsy waiting for Sep 1.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My vote would be for a public lands hunt, but I'm open to other places. There are a lot advertised in the paper, and tons on Hunt Texas https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/hunt_lease/index.php[url]https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/hunt_lease/index.php[/URL]
    I'm just getting antsy waiting for Sep 1.

I don't have a problem with the public places except I personally don't have time to scout them, and you don't want to be wandering around the day you want to hunt looking for a place and hopping their will be some action. If you know of some areas that are good, I'm game. But I personally can't make it until the 19th. Out of town over the long week end, and in Austin for meetings the next week end. The advantage of the leases is there is a measured amount of hunters, and the outfitters try to put you on productive fields.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Any one interested in the 19th for a hunt, or maybe a late season outing in October. They say, late season can be as good as opening day depending on the weather.

Don't make me have to go with my son-in-laws :(

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    They all seem to run from about $50 up to $100. The cheaper places are further out.

I guide dove hunts 5 minutes from Plano and 10 minutes from George Bush/75. $40 half day.

You can hunt and be in downtown Dallas in 30 minutes. The key is knowing the right people :)

I also hunt across the street from a well known high school in a large suburb. And yes, life is DAMN good.

TAJones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I guide dove hunts 5 minutes from Plano and 10 minutes from George Bush/75. $40 half day.

You can hunt and be in downtown Dallas in 30 minutes. The key is knowing the right people :)

I also hunt across the street from a well known high school in a large suburb. And yes, life is DAMN good.

Being that I am new to the North Texas area I agree. "The key is knowing the right People" Please enlighten us that might not know the Right People, so that we can keep the rights of shooting, hunting and the love of the outdoors alive.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras

Where's your info? I might be interested and some friends might be interested in it also if its got plenty of birds.

Sniper John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas

Still have birds?

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    JvT, we usually bagged our limit daily as long as the weather was good.

The December 26-January 9 dove hunting should be good. Lot's of feed and water makes for some fat, happy birds.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom