• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm working on getting the main thread with the all the info moved to this sub. In the mean time, feel free to talk about anything and everything related to the meet in this thread. I need volunteers to head up the cooking thread and the competition thread and competitions themselves. Last meet, it was simply too much to try and juggle everything by myself. If y'all could help out with that, I'd appreciate it.
    Capitol Armory ad

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    They should be fine. I can also bring extra shotguns if anybody wants to bust some clays with me. Any requests on types or models of shotguns?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Do we need shade and tables? For shooting or lunch. I can bring at least 1 pop-up gazebo.
    I have some rimfire steel targets as well. I'll bring more rimfire this time than anything.
    More beans and boudin? Full crockpot went pretty fast last time.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Rimfire dueling tree most likely for sure.
    I can bring some rimfire auto pop-back targets. Say 4 targets, 2 shots each in order. See who can do it the fastest.

Anyone have anything else?

Sent from my iPad by an idiot coffeeholic.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I want to do something that I had negotiated with the former venue. It involves heavy steel and strong handguns. I'll post more when I know more.

Would .44 magnum fit this bill or will I need to go .454? Also would a 10mm be stout enough with full power loads?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep. Ben tends to fall on the outer edges of the curve.....in a good way.

Full power 10mm, psshhh. Far too common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    for refresher on where we're going:

I spoke with the owner for TSSR the other day:

-TSSR has a class room, but he's already got it booked through November. He seemed like he genuinely wanted to help us with the room, but he could only find one available Sunday in the month. If we want to do a tailgate party (which I think would be kinda cool), he said he's willing to provide power. I asked him how many restrooms he has available for us and he said "two".

-The berms are currently being reinforced and made taller. This includes side berms splitting all the bays. They are 100% serious about their berms. The berms are big enough that he had a guy driving a bulldozer on top of them - if that tells you anything.

-He does have a skeet area, but it is currently shut down because there's big brush piles in the area that he can't burn due to the burn ban. He has paperwork that's already been submitted requesting permission to burn.

-No full auto at this time. He is dealing with some issues, and is expecting to have full auto back sometime in November.

-He's working on acquiring some land next door to his range. Once he gets this land, he will be putting in a 3,000 yard range. At that point, he will be open to the big boy guns.

-There ARE LTC classes that come through to qualify. He has 3 pistol bay areas, and they only use 1 of those bays - even then it's usually only for 30 min max since they're typically small classes.

-He is familiar with Texas Gun Talk and really wants our business. To help this along, he's willing to drop the entry fee for our range day. Normally it's $15, but he's willing to drop it to $10 for TGT members.

-He is willing to allow 30mm chalk rounds as long as they're kept on the berm.

-He is a class III dealer and has a few toys on hand as well. Certainly not any grenade launchers or full auto glocks, but still - he has toys.

-His clay thrower is variable. It throws them all over the place and you never know where until the clay has been launched.

Personally, I get a good vibe from this guy. He knows what his range needs to grow and be successful, and he has a game plan in action to do so. He was an explosives handler in the Army, so he's all about the cool stuff. There's just a few issues he's been working through to get him to that point. He's doing the best he can with what he's got. I think it would benefit us to start a good relationship with TSSR, and enjoy the benefits as he grows his range. If we were to hold our Oct meet there and we decided we like it enough for the April meet, we could reserve the classroom that day. I also think this range will be good for keeping everyone relatively together instead of spreading them all over. The main issues people were unhappy with - he's got handled. There's a few minor setbacks that I think will become available with time, but overall we will all be able to stay around each other and socialize, while being able to have a short walk to go shoot where we want.

These pictures were taken while they were busy remodeling the range. Please ignore the mess.

Main Office/Classroom/Restrooms
    0811161641_HDR_zpszk65lcdy.jpg

Front Desk
    0811161639_zpsyaoeg8oa.jpg

Restroom in training room
    0811161641_zpschxiesjj.jpg

Main restroom
    0811161640_zpspx1uc7jz.jpg

Training room
    0811161640a_zps4liircff.jpg

Main parking lot
    0811161642_zpsuk84d8el.jpg

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Long Range
    0811161643_zpsraap5wd7.jpg

0811161644_zpszbji3lsm.jpg

25 yd rifle
    0811161644_HDR_zpsxqnnblin.jpg

TacLane
    0811161645_zps2wrwneac.jpg

I was trying to capture how high the berm towers over me, but it's not as impressive on a picture as it is in person.
    0811161646_zpsai9kkazu.jpg

Three pistol paper bays - each has it's own lanes

0811161647_zpsv5dcu0df.jpg

Pistol steel bay
    0811161648_zpsvfslkxvb.jpg

Shotgun steel bay being built up
    0811161648a_zpsfi41r66v.jpg

Skeet area
    0811161648b_zpsshkgqb9j.jpg
    More work still to come...
    0811161649_zpseeyh3fyk.jpg

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'll bring a few cases of clays
    Unfortunately, they do have signs up saying you can't bring your own clays. No, I don't know why not did I think to ask.
    Do we need shade and tables? For shooting or lunch. I can bring at least 1 pop-up gazebo.
    I have some rimfire steel targets as well. I'll bring more rimfire this time than anything.

You can bring shade and tables, but the classroom will be for food. I'll bring shade as well.
    What kinds of competitions are we talking about?
    Usually we do a .22 pistol and rifle competition on steel flapper targets.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX

Mmmmmmmm........ boudin

Sent from...wait where am I!?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Would .44 magnum fit this bill or will I need to go .454? Also would a 10mm be stout enough with full power loads?
    As soon as my home club dries out, I'm going to do some testing to help me answer that question. It was originally my intention that a .500 S&W would likely be the standard round for successful competitors with the .44 magnum as a reasonable minimum that would allow someone to have fun but probably not win.

The targets I have, though, are probably too light for things to work out that way.

No matter the result of my testing, I always intended to have a mouse gun class limited to pistols firing 9x19 ammo. (Yes, since this is the first time I've done this, I won't be a stickler for enforcing that rule. I'll let 9x21, 9x23, 9mm Largo, 9mm magnum, .356TSW, and any other basically straight-walled 9mm cartridges take part.) That particular side match will be solely a speed contest. The reason is that since the targets are large and easy to hit, winning will be just a matter of hitting them as many times as possible as fast as possible.

The targets, btw, are 1/2" AR500 and weigh ~26 pounds each. S&W M19 for scale.

SmallRams_zpsh02jgoug.jpg

This is not a sure thing; it's contingent on the range owner allowing me to do what I want. I'll have to confirm with him, directly or indirectly, before I can say for sure if this is going to happen.

ETA: The attendance thread clearly says
    Steel targets are onsite, and we are allowed to bring our own. If we bring our own, then they need to be completely up against the berm.
    If that turns out to mean "laying on the dirt", then the whole deal is off. These targets are meant to be knocked over, so they'll need to be at least 2 feet in front of the berm. As soon as I get that clarified, I'll know whether this particular activity will proceed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom