TGT Year's End

Discussion in 'Announcements & Comments' started by Texas1911, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well, it's time to eat everything in sight, give away gifts, and prepare ourselves for the next year. I'd like to wish all of you guys, and gals, a Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah.

I appreciate everyone joining the forum, and making the forum what it is. We started off with just a small band of friends and grew to nearly 1900 members. I will be renewing my efforts to improve the site and offer even more in 2009. We will be focusing on expanding our Library with a number of articles on topics ranging from scope mounting and choice, a gun glossary, general marksmanship, and a myriad of other topics. If you'd like to be a part of this effort, feel free to send me a PM.

However, I cannot improve the site without your feedback and comments. If you'd like to help, please take the time to answer these questions:

What is something you'd like to see added to TGT?

What is the most used feature of TGT? (What do you use TGT for?)

What made you join TGT?

What is one thing you'd change about TGT?

What sort of local events would you like to engage in?

Would you be interested in a Texas wide event for charity?
    (Suggest a Charity?)

Thanks,
    Alan

2. Madhouse

Madhouse Active Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Merry Christmas Alan !!!

What is the most used feature of TGT? (What do you use TGT for?) Handgun and Rifle forums, and classifieds

What made you join TGT? A common interest with like-minded Texans.

What sort of local events would you like to engage in? Group range shoots

Would you be interested in a Texas wide event for charity? (Suggest a Charity?) Yes. Epilepsy Foundation of Texas (my wife has epilepsy) Home

3. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    First of all Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year to all of the fabulous TGT folks!

I was really glad to see that you intend to expand the library of helpful how to's. That is what hooked me on this forum. I linked to TGT from a post on HKPRO (yeah, I'm one of those HK nuts) and the how to's were really helpful.

Otherwise, just a great group of knowledgeable folks to help out with nearly any gun, technique, resource, or TX specific issue. I'm a newbie, so I do not have the depth of knowledge that many here do, but I have specific experiences and opinions and will share them in the hopes that it may help someone on the board.

4. CJS3

CJS3 Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    :texas: Merry Christmas and happy New Year ya'll! Thank God for Texas!

Most used feature- Handgun and rifle forums and CHL issues.
    What made me join?-Native Texan. If it's about guns and Texas, I'm there!
    One thing I like to change- I'd like to post more pictures. My attachments file is full.
    Group Events- A day at the range would be nice. A pot luck get together at a state park might be a nice way to meet each other also. Especially for those of us spread far and wide.

5. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to everybody.

Alan, you've done a bangup job on the site. It's been a real pleasure working with you.

I'd love to have a gtg in a centralized place so that we may all be able to sling lead together.

I hope 2009 will be a banter year for TGT! :texas:

6. midnightrider

midnightrider Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Merry Christmas to all and a happy new year:texas::patriot:

7. dtalley

dtalley Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Lost in BCS
    What is something you'd like to see added to TGT? As said before, Pistol, Rifle, CHL

What is the most used feature of TGT? (What do you use TGT for?) I like to use the New Thread feature

What made you join TGT? Texas People

What is one thing you'd change about TGT? Great Forum

What sort of local events would you like to engage in? local shoots possibly

Would you be interested in a Texas wide event for charity? (Suggest a Charity?) Cancer

8. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Cigars for everyone! :texas:

What is something you'd like to see added to TGT? Nothing jumps out at me off the top of my head.

I like the general discussions, news/political articles, though I take a walk through all the sections. Currently I am overseas w/o firearms where I cannot take advantage of the practical aspects of a gun forum. But that will change in a matter of months when I can actually sit with gun in hand. Then I will take active part in the gunsmithing, FS board, accessories, etc etcad

What made you join TGT?
    I saw the TGT post on TFL so I ventured over. I'm a Texan. I like guns. What better way to stay in touch :)

Oddly, for some reason, the drive by posting of the FS/WTB adds bother me. While I want the best selection off goods from as many sources as possible, it makes me feel like the TGT is "used". IIRC that post count needed for eligibility is 10. I'd like to see that upped so that the quality of forum participation is emphasized rather than '10 post count quality'. Oh, I definitely enjoy the non-gun related FS forum as well. I want to see what trucks, bikes and tools are around and need a new home.

Shoot nights...ladies nights...weekend training sessions or simple BBQs and shoots. It would even be sweet to have a big group hunt for bird and deer that lasts a few days, for a nice fall getaway.

A charity event would be great. Selecting one would be tough as there are a number of good causes that need support.

Alright yall, its Christmas Eve here and I've got a big shindig to get to. Everyone, have fun, but be safe. If you need a ride, call for a ride and stay off the road if you've had a few too many. Its much easier to get a ride to pick up your truck the next day than to pay for a mistake for the rest of a lifetime. Have fun but take care of your buddies and your selves.:texas:

9. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    What made you join TGT? Jim (zembonez) held a gun to my head...

Will still show threads you've viewed, after you've clicked the view new thread button.

Shooting/bbq's.

Yep. March of Dimes, Shriners are a good group.

10. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    Thanks Alan. Happy Hanukkah to all of you. About 2200 years ago, a group of outnumbered guerrilla warriors triumphed over an evil invading heathen empire. Today we still enjoy this celebration of religious freedom.

Please accept my best wishes to all of you that you may enjoy the sweetness of the concept of this holiday.

Merry Christmas to all as well.

I joined TGT to chat with like minded Texas gun owners, perhaps meet some local gun nuts, for gun reviews, learn about where folks shoot and ammo info.

On another gun board where I used to post, I organized a couple of shoots. I'm a volunteer tour guide at Holocaust Museum Houston and I often blow off steam after a tour by going to the range and then for margarita therapy. I scheduled a private museum tour for forum members and we took a large variety of toys to the range afterward. The tour got very positive reviews and we had a real blast at the range. If there is interest, I'd be pleased to organize this same event for this board. (Several members here have been on my museum tour.)

I also organized a successful charity fund raiser through another gun forum. It started as a karma where I was going to make a donation in honor of the karma winner to the charity of their choice. To enter the karma, all they had to do was post the name of their favorite charity and why they supported that particular charity. Another member offered to match my donation. It wasn't my intention at the start, but about 60 members offered donations and we raised about $3000 for charity, I split it up among three or four winners. This simple karma ended up taking up some dozens of hours of my time managing everything, but it was a terrific project and some very deserving charities received significant donations.

I'd hoped to use the accidental fundraiser to generate some publicity for the gun board and gun owners in general, but that forum's administrator was non-responsive to my overtures, so I couldn't use his forum name to generate positive publicity for gun owners. Again, I'd be pleased to offer something similar here.