Thankful? Favorite charity to give back.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yep 2020 sucks. But I'm alive and healthy, relatively anyways, we bought a house, got my family healthy and the one child who the jury is still out on is sober...for now.

I cant fix drug addicts and I dont waste energy or emotional capital trying as that's how you RIP apart families. They gotta fix themselves. Still were thankful.

We can also afford to give a little back this year so im giving to my 2 favorite charities.

Samaritan Purse
    Intl fellowship of Christian and jews.

Anyone wish to add a few ideas of others. I'm sure others can give too and a few ideas would be welcome.

So what's your favorite charities?

Seriously this is about giving and not ripping apart a specific groups financial ballance sheets so DONT BE THAT GUY.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    My favorite this time of year is www.bluebonnetyouthranch.org even though I can't type it without tears rolling down my face. I know how it felt to be a teenager with absolutely nothing but the clothes on my back for a short stretch of time, and its freaking demoralizing to say the least. Most of these kids just want socks and shoes and jeans that fit properly, the little ones naturally want toys. I also give time and money to www.sarahshouse.org for the same reasons as listed above.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Yep 2020 sucks. But I'm alive and healthy, relatively anyways, we bought a house, got my family healthy and the one child who the jury is still out on is sober...for now.

I cant fix drug addicts and I dont waste energy or emotional capital trying as that's how you RIP apart families. They gotta fix themselves. Still were thankful.

We can also afford to give a little back this year so im giving to my 2 favorite charities.

Samaritan Purse
    Intl fellowship of Christian and jews.

Anyone wish to add a few ideas of others. I'm sure others can give too and a few ideas would be welcome.

So what's your favorite charities?

Seriously this is about giving and not ripping apart a specific groups financial ballance sheets so DONT BE THAT GUY.
    We also like to help at Samaritans Purse when we can.
    We also supported Compassion International for many years. They do good work.
    I have been unemployed for an extended time. Once I get back on a paycheck, we plan to help at St Judes, as well...
    Before we start with any new outfit, we always check them out at:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Years ago we decided to consolidate our giving and settled on:

Salvation Army
    St. Jude‘s
    Compassion International
    American Family Association (AFA)
    Focal Point Ministries
    North Texas Humane Society (They do great work for homeless and abused animals.)

I listen to American Family Radio almost exclusively. It’s not just a bunch of preaching. They have a number of talk shows that focus on politics and culture issues, and are reliably conservative and pro-2A. And they have a great app that allows you to listen wherever you are.

Edit: Thanks to Sidebite, I just remembered to add the North Texas Humane Society.

Last edited:

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Lakeway Christian Community resale barn, multiple local food banks, Preston VFD as well as directly to several of our less fortunate friends. We’ve got a couple of close friends that have run into hard times. I recently paid a friend of ours rent for November and my buddy is going to pay it for December. Got to help folks where we can.

Edit: The puppies & kitties! My wife regularly donates cash, food, & more to a local no kill pet rescue.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Dont forget local places that fall into your lap. We were lucky to find out about an empty pantry at a retirement apt complex at the same time we had over full freezers and a little extra money in our accounts that week.

And

We moved to texas a decade ago. My youngest had a severe curve and twist in her spine that Phoenix children's hospital was really poorly managing. She was basically failing to thrive with one lung completely useless and crushed and wouldnt have lived till her early teens for the surgery.

When we got here we went to texas Scottish Rite hospital. They saved he life by operating then. She's 19 lettered in powerlifting her SR in HS and will graduate college in 2 years with a double major.

So Texas Scottish Rite hospital is well deserving in my eyes, but I'm biased.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Locally, we donate to our VFD, plus buy from them when they have their BBQ and their fish fries every year.

Our local United Way. The money goes to the local community that way.

We donate food and clothing to a local abused women's and children's center. I have also donated old cell phones to them as well.

In many ways, yes, 2020 has been a shitty year. We have seen things I would never expected to see happen. And even us, we took some hits this year as well personally. But, the Good Lord has seen fit to provide for our needs, and others have stepped in to give us a helping hand, so we don't have a lot in comparison as maybe others, but we try to help out others as best we can, when we can. I know there are others in way worse shape than us, so anything we can give to help, we will give gladly, and with a joyous heart. The Lord loves a cheerful giver!

I am thankful for all I have, and want to wish all a very Happy Thanksgiving. I have made some new friends here, and I'm thankful for that too.

Top Bottom