• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Whomever brought in their 6.5 pound Sako in .300 Win Mag just won the award for the most brutal rifle I've ever shot. Your gun kicks so damn hard I contemplated throwing it and leaving a note for you to grow a pair and sight it in yourself. This is coming from someone that get's joy out of shooting a .460 Weatherby Magnum.

Oh, and thanks for the 180 grain Hornady bear destroyer loads you brought along with it. Can't imagine what a 220 gr. would feel like. Probably on par with taking a horse kick to the junk.

It's a good thing you bought a good scope, because nothing else is going to last on that gun, and I wouldn't have touched it if it had anything short of a Leupold on it.

Odds of this rifle being for sale soon with 7 rounds fired out of it? About 99.9%. Why 7? Because it took 6 to foul the barrel and get it to group (new gun).
    Guns International

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Haha, that sucks......

Here's where a sound suppressor really would help, not just for sound.

viking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Yep I shot a Blazer like that. I don't no what the weight was, it was skinny and a real light weight. But it shoot great, 3 shoots in a ragged hole using federal 150 grain blue box ammo. I don't want to think what 180's would of felt like. I feel your pain.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I would guess he is using rifle to hunt Texas deer you know those huge animals who require a large caliber to bring down, sorry could not resist I've seen hunters all around the country using super large calibers when they are not necessary, just a pet peeve of mine.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I have a Ruger MKII in 300 Win mag, it doesnt really kick that much, although I would not want to take it on a prarie dog hunt either.

Was ita wood stock or was it a synthetic? I have had several Sako's in my safe, and I just never liked they way they cut their wood stocks, I think it has something to do with the cheekpiece, but they never felt right to me.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    That reminds me of my buddy's Savage. Weighs like 5 lbs and I've already had my shoulder dislocated 10 years back, and I think when I shot it, it dislocated again. I told him to put some lead shot in the ass end of it or get a dampener when target shooting, and then to shoot it again on paper without the shot to see if it shoots to the same POI for hunting. Well, he got transfered to Edwards and we never got to try out that theory. Thinking I might need to try that with my Stevens...

Rock on!

Brad L.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Alan, Ever try a rifle in .300 Weatherby magnum?? Makes the Winchester magnum feel like a pop-gun. I know of one that changed owners 3 times in as many rounds fired.... the latest owner said he would sell it to me but has yet to show up with the gun... for all I know he found someone else that would pay him more $$ than I offered... MG

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Alan, Ever try a rifle in .300 Weatherby magnum?? Makes the Winchester magnum feel like a pop-gun. I know of one that changed owners 3 times in as many rounds fired.... the latest owner said he would sell it to me but has yet to show up with the gun... for all I know he found someone else that would pay him more $$ than I offered... MG

I do about 200 sight-in's in a year. There isn't much I haven't shot at some point that is commercially available. As far as the .300 Weatherby Mag, we have a fiberglass ultralight Weatherby in .300 Weatherby Magnum ... I pity the fool that buys that thing, it can't be any more than 8 lbs.

Alot of it is that Hornady usually loads max book. The .308 Match loads they have on the market kick pretty hard for a .308. Winchester, Remington, etc. don't seem to be nearly as hot. I shot some of the Hornday loads (handloaded copies) while I was waiting for the .300's barrel to cool, and it seriously felt like a .243 compared to the .300. Something about that load in that rifle just hurt.

I've shot the .460 Weatherby Magnum, which packs about 7000 - 7500 lb. ft. at the muzzle. I'd much rather shoot it than the .300, the Mark V rifles are something like 11 - 12 lbs. in that chambering.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    When I was younger, shooting those big rifles seemed like the bee's knees. Now that I am a little older I just dont see the reason to shoot something that big, except maybe to hunt Volkswagons. I shot my uncle's .416 Rem Mag when I was about 16 and it hurt so good that I didnt want to shoot anything else that big ever again.

Not again did I shoot any magnums until I bought my .300 Win Mag when I was 21, and sighting that thing in was brutal. I'll stick to my 'whimpy' .308 Win and save my shoulder for the next shoot... :p

Rock on!

Brad L.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I do about 200 sight-in's in a year. There isn't much I haven't shot at some point that is commercially available. As far as the .300 Weatherby Mag, we have a fiberglass ultralight Weatherby in .300 Weatherby Magnum ... I pity the fool that buys that thing, it can't be any more than 8 lbs.

Alot of it is that Hornady usually loads max book. The .308 Match loads they have on the market kick pretty hard for a .308. Winchester, Remington, etc. don't seem to be nearly as hot. I shot some of the Hornday loads (handloaded copies) while I was waiting for the .300's barrel to cool, and it seriously felt like a .243 compared to the .300. Something about that load in that rifle just hurt.

I've shot the .460 Weatherby Magnum, which packs about 7000 - 7500 lb. ft. at the muzzle. I'd much rather shoot it than the .300, the Mark V rifles are something like 11 - 12 lbs. in that chambering.

I'm tellin ya Alan, its the way Sako cut their stocks back then. They have a really high, defined cheek piece and the butt is pretty skinny. It seems like half of the recoil goes straight up into your jaw, and the other half goes straight into your shoulder behind that wimpy butt like a sledgehammer.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    dang. I never fell in love with getting a cannon to kill the deer. Shoot, I've seen some decent deer, . . . . but they aren't going to be 300lbs.

Was given a 7mm rem. mag, but would have prefered something like a .243, 270 or 308

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm tellin ya Alan, its the way Sako cut their stocks back then. They have a really high, defined cheek piece and the butt is pretty skinny. It seems like half of the recoil goes straight up into your jaw, and the other half goes straight into your shoulder behind that wimpy butt like a sledgehammer.

This was a new gun, it wasn't any different from any other bolt-rifle.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Kinda reminds me of a buddy of mine back on Lejeune. We were shooting 155mm rounds with minimal charges (charge 3 greenbag I think - for those "in the know") out of the m198 howitzer. He got too close to the breech this one time and got lovetapped by the piece as it recoiled. It threw him clean back and we all though he was D - E - A - D!
    Well, he was a a rather large fellow (he was a big heap! LOL!!!) and he just got back up and laughed and said "hey - did you guys see that" in his normal big friendly guy voice.
    Obviously, the piece just barely tapped him, otherwise he wouldn't be still around.

BTW - this was a personal witness story that I would NEVER believe if anyone else told it to me and I hadn't seen it myself. So, call "BS" if you like. But It really did happen.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    This was a new gun, it wasn't any different from any other bolt-rifle.

Must have been a Finnlite then, thats the only one of their current production rifles that are near that light, most all of them are well over 7lbs. Why someone would want a 300 win mag that light is beyond me. Probably so someone can get you to sight it in and all they have to do is pull the trigger once.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Must have been a Finnlite then, thats the only one of their current production rifles that are near that light, most all of them are well over 7lbs. Why someone would want a 300 win mag that light is beyond me. Probably so someone can get you to sight it in and all they have to do is pull the trigger once.

It is so when they carry the gun to their blind from the truck, their arms don't get tired.

Or if they are trying to figure out if that thing making the noise in the distance is a person or an animal, they don't have to take any binoculars. They can just use the scope. . . .

Top Bottom