Thanks ...

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Texas1911, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Whomever brought in their 6.5 pound Sako in .300 Win Mag just won the award for the most brutal rifle I've ever shot. Your gun kicks so damn hard I contemplated throwing it and leaving a note for you to grow a pair and sight it in yourself. This is coming from someone that get's joy out of shooting a .460 Weatherby Magnum.

Oh, and thanks for the 180 grain Hornady bear destroyer loads you brought along with it. Can't imagine what a 220 gr. would feel like. Probably on par with taking a horse kick to the junk.

It's a good thing you bought a good scope, because nothing else is going to last on that gun, and I wouldn't have touched it if it had anything short of a Leupold on it.

Odds of this rifle being for sale soon with 7 rounds fired out of it? About 99.9%. Why 7? Because it took 6 to foul the barrel and get it to group (new gun).

2. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    Haha, that sucks......

Here's where a sound suppressor really would help, not just for sound.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, considering a steel .300 Win Mag can weighs damn near the same as the rifle.

This rifle needs a muzzle brake ... BADLY.

4. viking

viking New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Yep I shot a Blazer like that. I don't no what the weight was, it was skinny and a real light weight. But it shoot great, 3 shoots in a ragged hole using federal 150 grain blue box ammo. I don't want to think what 180's would of felt like. I feel your pain.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    :lolz:

6. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    I would guess he is using rifle to hunt Texas deer you know those huge animals who require a large caliber to bring down, sorry could not resist I've seen hunters all around the country using super large calibers when they are not necessary, just a pet peeve of mine.

7. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I have a Ruger MKII in 300 Win mag, it doesnt really kick that much, although I would not want to take it on a prarie dog hunt either.

Was ita wood stock or was it a synthetic? I have had several Sako's in my safe, and I just never liked they way they cut their wood stocks, I think it has something to do with the cheekpiece, but they never felt right to me.

8. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    That reminds me of my buddy's Savage. Weighs like 5 lbs and I've already had my shoulder dislocated 10 years back, and I think when I shot it, it dislocated again. I told him to put some lead shot in the ass end of it or get a dampener when target shooting, and then to shoot it again on paper without the shot to see if it shoots to the same POI for hunting. Well, he got transfered to Edwards and we never got to try out that theory. Thinking I might need to try that with my Stevens... :gotme:

Rock on! :texas:

Brad L.

9. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I would invest in a brake and maybe a deadmule or some other kind of recoil reducer in the stock.

10. usmcpmi

usmcpmi Active Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Alan, Ever try a rifle in .300 Weatherby magnum?? Makes the Winchester magnum feel like a pop-gun. I know of one that changed owners 3 times in as many rounds fired.... the latest owner said he would sell it to me but has yet to show up with the gun... for all I know he found someone else that would pay him more $$ than I offered... MG