• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You guys ever look at a load in a reloading manual and come to the conclusion that "that can't be right"? I'm working up a load for my .223 and Lyman's manual lists the max load for my bullet to be 27.5gr of IMR4320, and indicates that it's a compressed load. Considering that I cant even get that much powder in the case without if overflowing, I'd say that would be right. lol.

I checked with Hodgdon's online database and their max load for that bullet is 26.1gr, and it's still a compressed load. The listed velocity is more or less the same as Lyman's max load.

Not sure what Lyman was thinking with that one. Even if it's safe, it's a PITA to try to load. You can forget about using a progressive press.
    Texas SOT

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'd forget it and go with a host of other powders that may not be compressed
    CFE 223, XBR 8208, 4198..to name a few

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    You guys ever look at a load in a reloading manual and come to the conclusion that "that can't be right"? I'm working up a load for my .223 and Lyman's manual lists the max load for my bullet to be 27.5gr of IMR4320, and indicates that it's a compressed load. Considering that I cant even get that much powder in the case without if overflowing, I'd say that would be right. lol.

I checked with Hodgdon's online database and their max load for that bullet is 26.1gr, and it's still a compressed load. The listed velocity is more or less the same as Lyman's max load.

Not sure what Lyman was thinking with that one. Even if it's safe, it's a PITA to try to load. You can forget about using a progressive press.

Thanks for posting that info. I'm a newb & might of blown myself up because I have a Lyman book also. It's the newest 50th edition...not sure what version you have.

I've found dealing with manuals the manufacturer sometimes copy & paste info ...so sometimes it's not correct.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The density of a powder may change and not get caught by the publisher. I tend to use the powder manufacturer's recommended data, as it's the most up to date.

4320 is not a great powder for .223, IMHO. 748 is the 'original' stuff, but I never liked the results. I get best results with Varget or CFE-223. CFE leaves less copper fouling, but seems a bit sootier than Varget.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not too concerned about the compression. It was just odd that they listed a charge so high that it was literally overflowing the case. The 26.1gr max charge that Hodgdon recommends is far more reasonable.

I've always had good luck with IMR 4320 and have quite a bit of it laying around. I've gotten sub MOA groups out of my AR with it before. I tried CFE 223 when it first came out and I liked it. Never got around to getting more of it for some reason. It's cheaper than both IMR 4320 and Varget, so I might pick up a jug of it next time I order powder.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I was testing a mid range load and having the case full to the top recently. I started with a higher charge and worked my way down and started with the lightest brass and worked my way up. The cases just kept getting fuller and fuller until it started spilling out the top.

I had never had that issue before.

The volume of different brass cases comes in to play sometimes too.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I find listings that make me double check with other books fairly regularly. I have four or five books and almost always look at them all before deciding on what my load will be.

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas

I use this load in my 223 SPS Rem. justme gbot tum

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning the load I mentioned of 27.5grs. of 4320
    came off www.24hour campfire.com. yes the 27.5 will
    fit in Winchester brass. yes the case is full. I put
    my finger over the case and tap on the table.
    to compact the powder in the case. the bullet
    is a barnes 53gr. FB bullet. very accurate.
    the rifle is a rem. 223cal. SPS heavy barrel varmint.
    justme gbot tum

Top Bottom