Join TexasGunTalk

The ‘Real’ World

Discussion in 'Military Vets' started by toddnjoyce, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Actually Attends

You guys should look into the ATS and how it works.. minority status, veteran status. It matters. The only way to get around it is to know a hiring manager, someone really high up, or someone in HR.

2. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I actually do know how our ATS works. The only way we will know about VEVRAA or other Veteran status is if it’s disclosed by the applicant, just like any of the other protected status/demographic information.

We specifically shield that info from the recruiters and hiring managers.

We do aggregate and report it as required, but that’s handled by a team outside of talent acquisition.

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  3. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Paragraphs please.

majormadmax and toddnjoyce like this.
  4. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    He gave you three. You getting greedy? ;)

toddnjoyce likes this.
  5. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, but there’s at least 4 in the middle one :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag and toddnjoyce like this.
  6. Darkpriest667

Interesting, all the ones I've seen programmed assign points based on answers given by applicants. Even though it's illegal as hell many of them gave points for minority status. They also gave points for veteran status which is one of the few legal ways to discriminate against applicants. I mean hell the school districts straight up SAY they have a preferred veteran status on the application system. Google has a program that directs veterans to jobs within their company by what job they had in the military. Non-veterans NEED NOT APPLY.

As far as minority status goes, interviewers at many companies only interview non minorities for jobs so that they can look like they made it fair. One of my former bosses straight told me that the only reason I got hired was because there were slots available for the jobs that they were unable to fill with minority candidates and I was literally the best interview they'd ever had for that position.

So for your company to shield that information is pretty rare or at least in my experience isn't done. I'm an insanely good interview. The job I just secured was only done because I knew people in the company and they recommended me to senior management for a position they don't even hire for externally. I applied for tons of lower positions and got immediate denial emails (automated.) That tells me I failed the ATS points system. I absolutely qualified for the jobs (they're entry level or just above entry level.) The job I just secured is definitely NOT entry level it's about 5 steps above that.

So something FISHY definitely is going on with many companies and their ATS systems. The government too.

7. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    We’re a F100 company and our recruiters’ #1 complaint is we don’t have a ‘real’ ATS/Candidate Relationship Management system. While it’s a challenge, the best thing we did was not create a metric/performs objective tied to a recruiter’s ability to produce an applicant pool based on certain demographic responses.

We also human read every resume, so yes we are quite different in that approach, but I expect that to change over the next 24 months.

We have a huge bias against keyword matches, which is what everyone tries to sell us.

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  8. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The Enterprise, 'mIright?

toddnjoyce likes this.
  9. Darkpriest667

Man your company is awesome. If more companies did that they wouldn't have 300 positions unfilled. They're all waiting for the perfect resume along with the perfect demographic candidate.

10. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The downside is it takes a long time to fill an open req. Too long, honestly.