The 14" Mossberg shotgun that isn't NFA

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Das Jared, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Renegade

Renegade TGT Addict

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If the bore is over .500, you need a sporting exemption - rifle, shotgun, pistol, firearm, etc., does not matter.

eta - There are some other exemptions, antique firearms, black powder, industrial, etc.

eta2 - I misunderstood what you wrote. Yes, the general sporting exemption only applies to shotguns, and these are not shotguns, so an additional level of scrutiny would be applied.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I'm really surprised they haven't been making use of the law-maybe they're waiting for a boss that'll put up with crap more than the current President will. Anyways, haven't found any action being taken on it against the millions of folks working outside of it. I bet between Remington and Mossberg and the few smaller shops, they'll sell a few hundred thousand of them.

Maybe we're gonna get some relief during this administration after all.

3. Renegade

Renegade TGT Addict

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Every single one of these firearms is a DD under current law. I am surprised ATF has not done something. But then it took them a decade or more to deal with Striker and Street Sweeper.

Get yours before someone writes a letter.

V-Tach and Nightwatch like this.
  4. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Yeah-we'll probably go down because someone had to point out their oversight...oh, well...
    (Didja hear the rumor that UncaDonald was going to appoint Ted Nugent head of the ATF?)

5. seeker_two

seeker_two Well-Known

Jul 1, 2008
    Question: If a person wanted to take a Shockwave and cut the barrel shorter than 14", would it have to be registered as an AOW or a SBS?

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

6. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    if the OAL gets to be <26", the answer is YES, it would have to be registered as an AOW.

7. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Active Member

Jan 9, 2014
  8. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, if you think they are going to force registration at some point anyways, might as well get a cheaper shotgun and register it as an SBS.

9. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The Gun Shack in Helotes is taking "pre-orders" for these to be picked after 1 September.

I only tell you this because I'm not getting one! :clown::clown:

10. TinCuda

TinCuda New Member

May 3, 2016
    20170726_204503.jpg I sent my barrel to AimPro Tactical to have a shroud installed. They had to cut it short to fit the barrel, then drill/ tap it for mounting screws through the forward lug. I think they did a nice job.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017 at 8:27 AM