• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickt300

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2022
    Texas
    I have had 3 bolt guns and two AR15's chambered in the Grendel. The bolt guns though fun and accurate (HOWA mini's) just didn't make the stay in the safe level. For one thing there were for a while a ravenous group of people who would buy a 6.5 HOWA off of me at my profit no matter what. That and my Model Seven 7-08 was almost as light and far more capable. However in the AR platform the Grendel is a pretty nice round giving more pig killing ability than the 5.56 and overall a better deer round. Easy to load for, well supported with brass and bullets, works pretty good on coyotes. Not much to dislike really. Anyone else still shooting one?
    Target Sports

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    There is no bigger Grendel fan on this forum than me.
    I also have 2 Howas and 2 ARs in Grendel.
    I’m sitting on a large stockpile of Ammo and components, but I have trouble bringing myself to shoot it seeing the cost to replace it nowadays.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I built a 6.5 Grendel AR earlier this year. I have yet to fire it as I haven't reloaded any ammo for it yet. Same with my .450 Bushmaster.

I just can't bring myself to buy ammo.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    BE4BF721-2D68-43F3-8804-563D5DA953BA.jpeg
    BE4BF721-2D68-43F3-8804-563D5DA953BA.jpeg

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    The first AR I built is in 6.5 Grendel - love it - so much I bought a Howa. It's a great intermediate cartridge.
    1685131486984.png

rickt300

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2022
    Texas
    I don't see the Grendel being anymore expensive to shoot than most other rounds. The 223 of course has an edge. Small rifle primers are easy to come by other than cost which is coming down. 6.5 bullets are commonly available. In fact the steel cased stuff is back on the market. If you like to shoot and reload you are still going to spend money. Brass is findable. If you need loaded ammo try Ammoseek.com.

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    I have had 3 bolt guns and two AR15's chambered in the Grendel. The bolt guns though fun and accurate (HOWA mini's) just didn't make the stay in the safe level. For one thing there were for a while a ravenous group of people who would buy a 6.5 HOWA off of me at my profit no matter what. That and my Model Seven 7-08 was almost as light and far more capable. However in the AR platform the Grendel is a pretty nice round giving more pig killing ability than the 5.56 and overall a better deer round. Easy to load for, well supported with brass and bullets, works pretty good on coyotes. Not much to dislike really. Anyone else still shooting one?
    I really like the Grendel. I put together a pretty basic Ar build and it is the go to gun for the grand kids for deer hunting. Mild recoil, very accurate with a decent scope and plenty of power and range for deer size game. Grandson won't use anything else when we sit in the blind. This one was at age 10.
    20210117_094211.jpg

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Bought a 6.5 Grendle AR upper w/dies and 200 pieces of brass for $200, with shipping, some time in 2015? or 2016.

I liked it so much I bought the Howa 1500 in Grendle.

I LOVE the way the Grendle shoots. Likewise, reloading it is easy, because it's a very forging cartridge. At least, out to +-250 yards.

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    I had a Grendel upper for my AR that I never bonded with, then a CVA Scout pistol in it, that now lives in McKinney. That was interesting and accurate, but heavy. I currently have it in a Ruger American that is wonderfully accurate with the Nosler 120-grain Ballistic Tip over 29 grains of Re-15. Trouble is, the supply of those Noslers is really slim, so I am going to try the Hornady 123-grain SST and see how they fly.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I had a Grendel upper for my AR that I never bonded with, then a CVA Scout pistol in it, that now lives in McKinney. That was interesting and accurate, but heavy. I currently have it in a Ruger American that is wonderfully accurate with the Nosler 120-grain Ballistic Tip over 29 grains of Re-15. Trouble is, the supply of those Noslers is really slim, so I am going to try the Hornady 123-grain SST and see how they fly.
    I believe I have a few boxes of 120gr BTs out in my garage that I will never use. I will sell them to you if you need them

safestuffer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2023
    Washington state
    While I don't see much value in a bolt action 6.5G, the round looks on paper like a very good medium range, medium game round. I should have pulled the trigger on a 6.5G upper when I had the chance.

Top Bottom