• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DefendeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Hey friends:
    I recently finished building a nice 7.62x39 rifle.
    It is in the AR platform.I took it today to the range for a test drive,and found myself dealing with multiple FTF and FTEs.
    I have known that there may be some problems with this particualar configuration,and in many cases the magazines are the main culprit.
    I have 2 20 rd magazines,which I lightly dremel'd to keep the lip of them from preventing the round to load into the chamber.
    I also polished the feed ramps.
    At first,it shot fine save a few FTF,but then it got worse.
    At times the bolt locked up and had to "mortar" it.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Gun Zone Deals

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    sounds like your chamber is too tight for steel cased ammo. Pretty shitty because that's mostly all that's available in that caliber. 7.62x39 in an ar15 is a bad idea to begin with. If you need to shoot .30 cal out of an ar, go 300. In sorry you wasted your money. Maybe you can sell it to some sucker at the gun show.

DefendeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Could be that.Maybe I'll run some brass ammo and see what happens.
    If problem persists,then I'll just swap the barrel and convert it to 5.56.

DefendeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    On a side note,I got a couple of buddies that run that same config and theirs run fine,so let's see.
    Thank you for the input.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Most 7.62x39 ammo is steel cased and a bit on the nasty side. Not the best for a DI rifle. 300BLK seems to run okay, but it's mostly cut down 5.56 ammo with some fast burning powder.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Ya I don't understand this whole x39 AR craze. If I wanted to shoot that round I'd get an AK. If I want those ballistics in an AR I just whoop out the 300 blackout (which can also have similar ballistics to a .45 if I want it to).

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    rushthezeppelin......what you said^^^

AK's have super loose tolerances, that's the way the platform was intentionally built, if you have ever seen a slow motion video of an AK rifle firing EVERYTHING flexes!!!! The barrel, receiver, rivets, etc ........it has to be loose so it can flex & distort, then come back into "shape" ....that's why they work so well, all the time :green:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Cause AK has such great optics options, lol.

I have no interest in a X39 AR, but I can definitely see why people would want them and the advantages it would have over an AK or 300BO AR.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    to the OP......I have heard & been told that the angle in which the 7.62X39 round has to be pushed up from the magazine into the chamber is quite a bit steeper when it is in the AR configuration vs the AK (more of a strait shot), which is the cause of a lot of feeding issues as well as chamber lock up issues for the AR configuration.....

DefendeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    to the OP......I have heard & been told that the angle in which the 7.62X39 round has to be pushed up from the magazine into the chamber is quite a bit steeper when it is in the AR configuration vs the AK (more of a strait shot), which is the cause of a lot of feeding issues as well as chamber lock up issues for the AR configuration.....

Thank you,I will take that into consideration.I'm still exploring my options.
    I'm leaning towards swapping the barrel and bolt to a 5.56.
    Not ready to abandon the 7.62,I just don't want to overreact.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have heard & been told that the angle in which the 7.62X39 round has to be pushed up from the magazine into the chamber is quite a bit steeper when it is in the AR configuration vs the AK
    Yeah, that's definitely a huge part of it. 7.62x39 cases are tapered and have a hard time feeding from a strait magazine. A 7.62x39 "AR" would be a lot more reliable if the lower accepted standard curved AK mags.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Yeah, that's definitely a huge part of it. 7.62x39 cases are tapered and have a hard time feeding from a strait magazine. A 7.62x39 "AR" would be a lot more reliable if the lower accepted standard curved AK mags.

They actually do make lowers that accept ak mags....they basically have no magwell. Of course that still doesn't fix the fact that most x39 bolts are prone to shearing lugs.

Top Bottom