Lynx Defense

The age old question...i can almost hear the groaning...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Hi all,

I have recently been doing some research on this topic and wanted to get your input... Gun Oil or Grease? Now, I am sure this has been asked here before, but I wanted a fresh take on it. Being from the North East and now living in Texas, I am hearing the argument for grease more and more. The thought is, that because of the temps out here, grease will tend to "stay" better than oil. That is, the grease won't flow from the areas you put it in like oil will. The argument against grease is that it retains dust and dirt...well, so doesn't oil...so I think that argument is weak. Can I get some opinions on the topic?

Reactions: gll

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I usually use grease on slide rails and the outside of a bcg. Oil the finer areas. I don't have any lube induced malfunctions, but I clean after each range session so who knows what prolonged use would do.

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    I usually use grease on slide rails and the outside of a bcg. Oil the finer areas. I don't have any lube induced malfunctions, but I clean after each range session so who knows what prolonged use would do.
    Thanks for the input. I clean after every range or use as well so that isn't a big concern of mine.

Sent from my moto g stylus (XT2115DL) using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Frog Lube FTW!!!

(hides)

Seriously though - I've used all manner and types of lubes - as long as something is on there, I've never seen any difference in normal TX conditions.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I usually use Lucas or tetra grease and hoppes extreme oil, but just ordered a can of ballistol to see what all the fuss is about

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Frog Lube FTW!!!

(hides)

Seriously though - I've used all manner and types of lubes - as long as something is on there, I've never seen any difference in normal TX conditions.
    I can say for sure, don't use Smooth Kote. It's a liquid moly that dries. It makes everything dry and slick as shit, but being moly based It should attract moisture. I did a test on an old brake pad. Cleaned both sides, applied smooth kote to one side and set outside. The results are what I expected.
    20210903_223556.jpg

Last edited:

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    I can say for sure, don't use Gun Kote. It's a liquid moly that dries. It makes everything dry and slick as shit, but being moly based It should attract moisture. I did a test on an old brake pad. Cleaned both sides, applied gun kote to one side and set outside. The results are what I expected. View attachment 283672
    Whoah! That is scary as hell! Thank you for the research and input!

Sent from my moto g stylus (XT2115DL) using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Op just find what works well and use it. For handguns I use anti seize. Glock method works fine. Some examples of guns:

For ak’s I’ll use some oil. Maybe grease. Whatever it’s an ak. Just get the rails, where the bolt cams, little on the tail of the carrier that rides over the hammer, and a lil on the base of the piston shaft. Yes har har.

For ar rifles just oil the rail spots on the carrier, bolt lugs, cam pin area, charging handle and call it a day.

Mini14 use light grease on the op rod for bolt lug and where it rides under the barrel.

Pump shotguns such as a mossberg 590a1. Dry. Clean it then no lube.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    This.

I didn't understand the question so figured it was for the 1911 guys.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    I have a 1911. Is there some way you could explain it to me, I get confused! ;)

Top Bottom