Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I have rails for my rails.

I have all the gear.

And I use it.

The thing about the 1913 system is that it allows the user to configure the rifle for the task at hand.

I can put my bipod on the rifle, white light, IR laser, visible laser, 1-4 optic, AIMPOINT, 3-9 optic, VFG, whatever I need for the day.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, I think some of this stuff is thrown a bit out of proportion. I really haven't seen that many modded AR's that had lots of ridiculous stuff on them. Things like vertical grips, red dots, and flashlights are usually the norm and perfectly functional plus serve to allow the shooter to have greater control over the gun and be faster. I think to some degree, this is more a matter of the internet amplifying the actual reality of the situation. Of course now that I say that, next time I'm at the range I'll probably see 10 different people with AR's that have picatinny toaster oven attachments, picatinny antennas for better cell phone reception, and other nonsense.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    What more can you throw on a rifle besides an optic, flashlight, laser, and a VFG?
    There was a guy at the range one day that had three Yes 3 different lasers, an Acog, a 3x red dot hanging off the side and an EoTech in front of the Acog. I keep to a rule with a rifle K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. I like to have iron sights and a scope on my deer rifles so that if one fails I have the other, even tho it's hard to hold to that anymore as most deer rifles don't have iron sights any more.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    People like that need to be hit in the face with a sock full of wood screws.

I have one attachment for mine... a 30 round mag! MG
    That's all you need.

The weapon mounted light would be a situational thing, and the laser would not be something I would spend money on I don't like them. But the Eotech and iron sights I could live with. I have never really liked the 3x red dots either.

Burldozer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Benning Ga/Iraq/Edna Tx
    my acog serves me just fine. as you were saying big country for personal defense white light is great to blind. Until someone o-5 or above tells me otherwise or makes and army wide announcement I will continue to beleive the theory behind the 5.56 round.

mightyp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    ft worth
    223 with soft points is a very effective man stopper,it wounds real good. I have no lights or lazers on my ars, one has a 2x scope on carry handle(you can still see the irons), other one is iron sighted.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    This is the only thing I want to attach to my AR.

870mcs_AxxWpn.gif

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    14.5" barrel, flattop, Badger Tac Latch, YHM Phantom flash suppressor, YHM Specter length lightweight free-float tube, YHM flip-up sights, Eotech 512, Surefire in a Viltor mount and a VFG. That's how I roll.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think a HOLOsight, flip up rear sights tritium front post, and a weapon mounted light would be my "perfect" set up on a flat top AR. And I might be comfortable with a 3x scope handy but not on the rifle just in case of a longer precision zombie offensive strike. LOL!

That sounds like about the perfect rifle. I don't see much of a need for a magnifier, though. If you can't hit a man-size target with an EOTech at the outside edge of the AR's effective range, a magnifier isn't going to help you.

I'm a bigger fan of the Aimpoint sights, though. Give me an Aimpoint Micro and I'd be a happy camper. I'm waiting on an Ultimak for my AK to put my Comp M2 on.

Now that is a CQC carbine. LOL I like that.

Don't let the shotgun fool you; it's for breaching. It lets your breacher get back on his primary faster which is good, because that little three round mag is probably going to be empty after he hits the lock and hinges.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    RE: 3x magnifier -

Target ID is the reason I would own one. I can hit at 300 all day with irons, but I can do it better with a red dot, and even better with a red dot w/ 3x mag. Plus, you get a handy just-about-do-it-all carbine. Why I would be shooting at someone at 300 yds, I dont know, but I want the capability if I need to. With the QD mounts, you just take it off when you dont need it, and slap it on when you do.

As far as attachments, I like a good sling(VCAS), red dot (AP), and a good light(SF). This is KISS for me. I am the most effective with this setup. Sure, I can fight with irons, but I and my hits really start to suck in low/no light engagements.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You have a point. The only question is if it's worth the extra weight and bulk.

I forgot that I was going to comment on lasers. I don't see much of a point on a rifle. IMO if you learn to point-shoot, you've got it covered. It's not hard to look at something close and hit it without using sights... And learn your hold over for your sights and/or optics! Aim dead-on with an AR or AK at five feet and you're going to hit a lot lower than you wanted to.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I should be clear that I have never shot an AR. I have practiced CQC with a shot gun. But I have handled a lot of AR's with a lot of different stuff on them. I could stand a solid butt stock with a 9x scope on it. But for a general use "do it all" rifle I would like the redundant site system that would be both accurate and reflexive and a holosight style red dot with a flip up rear iron sight would be the best most rugged redundant system you could go with. Lasers are great on a back up gun so small the sights are invisible any way but IMHO they are not a need on a fighting rifle. As far as the weapon light, I would not have an issue with having one on a fighting rifle. As the 3x goes I would want one but just for hunting, I would rather have an EoTech type sight and the irons in a fight.

Top Bottom