• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    With "best" being so subjective, I will go with the best purchase I made from a financial point of view.

Once at a gun show, another dealer brought be an extremely rough 1911. It was an old Colt frame and slide with a Springfield Armory barrel. The barrel had a slight bulge in it, and who knows what other parts had been replaced. In addition to the rough condition, it also had some strange markings that made the seller even mention that it may be a counterfeit Colt. He thought I might want it for parts as he "knew" I was interested in 1911s with military use/history. (Actually, not me, but my GS partner was the one into the 1911s.)

For not being a 1911 expert, some little voice said "buy it". He wanted $1000 even, and I got him to take $900. I couldn't wait to get home and verify my hunch. My initial research gave me some unexpected incentive to dig deeper.

My next step was to take it to the person I knew that knew the most about 1911s. A trip to Corpus Christi with my pistol was a good one. My pistol's serial number fell in between his two examples of my model. More suspicions confirmed, but not home free yet.

$125 later I got my letter from Colt. What the seller thought was Greek or Turkish writting on it turned out to be Cerilic. I had one of only 5000 of a Russian contract 1911 shipped through England.

After a while, I put it on consignment with a dealer/customer and we priced it at $6500. We got some interest, but no takers. Later at the NRA or SHOT show, I talked to Rock Island Auctions. The end result was after all fees, I cleared over $8900.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Best gun purchase I ever made was a Remington 600 in 6mm Remington. It was in like new condition. Payed $350.00 for it at the gun show in Tyler.

Ended up trading it to a guy a couple years later for a Winchester in .270 and a Savage in .243 to a guy who collects those Remingtons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Well damn. The gun has been pretty much perfect since the first 500 rounds.

Now all 6 of my mags are giving me pretty bad FTF's. They aren't making it up in time for the bolt to feed it. Its random, but each mag does it. Cci, aguila, Remington, eley...

Got some stuff coming from tandemkross so hope that fixes it.

BFThorp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Well damn. The gun has been pretty much perfect since the first 500 rounds.

Now all 6 of my mags are giving me pretty bad FTF's. They aren't making it up in time for the bolt to feed it. Its random, but each mag does it. Cci, aguila, Remington, eley...

Got some stuff coming from tandemkross so hope that fixes it.
    Curious if it does it some without the can?

I have a 22/45 tactical - dead air mask.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Curious if it does it some without the can?

I have a 22/45 tactical - dead air mask.
    Yeah. Its all in the mags. I took the mags apart and left the bodies in a case tumbler for about 36 hours, and cleaned the crap out of the springs, followers, etc. It's doing much better now, just random failures with the ammo I'm trying to burn through

Top Bottom