• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glick88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    What (in your opinion) is the best "all around" shotgun on a budget? And why?
    (budget meaning less than $400)
    Target Sports

Last edited:

zentanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    So by saying a ">$400 budget, you're saying you're looking for something pricier than $400 yet the sky being the limit, or are you completely misunderstood about the difference between the "less than" and "greater than" relational operators?

In short, are you trying to say "LESS THAN $400" or "GREATER THAN $400"? Contextually it seems you want the former, but you twice indicated the latter...

glick88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    So by saying a ">$400 budget, you're saying you're looking for something pricier than $400 yet the sky being the limit, or are you completely misunderstood about the difference between the "less than" and "greater than" relational operators?

In short, are you trying to say "LESS THAN $400" or "GREATER THAN $400"? Contextually it seems you want the former, but you twice indicated the latter...

My bad, didn't realize the mistake. LESS THAN!!!! (brain fart).

zentanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    My bad, didn't realize the mistake. LESS THAN!!!! (brain fart).

lol no problem

I would say either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, though depending on options you're going to be cutting that budget close. The Mossberg has controls that are more conveniently placed, but the 870 has a slicker more refined action. They're both solid, reliable shotguns with tons of accessory and customization options so I don't think you'd make a bad choice either way.

EDIT: I have both a 500 and a 870 and like them both

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Buy an 870 from a pawn shop. Replace springs and furniture. Enjoy. I built a badass "Tactical" 50's Wingmaster from a pawn shop gun. After selling the old furniture and bits off of it and replacing them with "Tactical" bits, the total cost came out to something like $98 - and it's near mint.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you could squeeze another Franklin out of your wallet, you could get a NIB combo package. Something with a barrel for birds, clays, etc. and a rifled slug barrel for deer and home defense. The extra 2 inches and rifling should not be detrimental to it's performance for distances you would be defending your family inside your home or yard.

Specifically talking about the Remington Model 870 Express Deer Shotgun Combo, which can be had for $500.

Last edited by a moderator:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    May I add to the OP's Question. What do you guys recommend in the semi-auto line? I miss my Dads A5. We can up the budget to the $500 range.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Re: The best shotgun on a budget (>$400)

If you could squeeze another Franklin out of your wallet, you could get a NIB combo package. Something with a barrel for birds, clays, etc. and a rifled slug barrel for deer and home defense. The extra 2 inches and rifling should not be detrimental to it's performance for distances you would be defending your family inside your home or yard.

Specifically talking about the Remington Model 870 Express Deer Shotgun Combo, which can be had for $500.
    View attachment 20450

Is that the one I was looking at when we were at collector's? What is that barrel length?

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Lots of quality shotguns under $400. I forgot how much my Maverick 88 cost but it was relatively cheap(I think maybe around $200?), and it is made by Mossberg.

Can't go wrong with a nice Mossberg though.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Re: The best shotgun on a budget (>$400)

Haha yeah I saw that on their website not long after you mentioned that shotgun.

Hate to hijack but do you know if a +2 mag extension sits flush with the 18", 18.5", or 20" barrel? And is the barrel the sole determinant of what length shells you can fire through a shotgun or is there something else, like the receiver?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Haha yeah I saw that on their website not long after you mentioned that shotgun.

Hate to hijack but do you know if a +2 mag extension sits flush with the 18", 18.5", or 20" barrel? And is the barrel the sole determinant of what length shells you can fire through a shotgun or is there something else, like the receiver?

Yes ....................& ...................No, .. No

american_soldier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    El Paso
    the best shotgun on a budget by far is the maverick 88 by mossberg less than $220.00 anywhere and uses the same parts as the mossberg 500 series shotguns has mossbergs warranty and still leaves plenty of money for ammo so even if its your first shotgun you can practice a lot

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 24" or 26" Remington 879 Express is great for just about anything. We switched to 870's about 30 years ago and never looked back. they are extremely reliable, rarely malfunction, are tough as nails, cheap, easily serviced, and "feel" great. I have a camo Mossberg 500, rarely take it out of the safe.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom