• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I'm currently using an 870 Wingmaster that was bought in 1968 by my dad. My wife tried to duplicate it in 1973, but ended up with a 28" barrel instead of a 26" barrel. I think the 1973 Wingmaster cost $92. Both guns are fixed choke modified barrels and have been used to hunt dove, quail, ducks, pheasants and anything else that flies.

Here's a video on the differences between the Mossberg 590A1 and the 870. Mossberg 590 vs Remington 870 - YouTube

Personally, I prefer the steel receiver on the 870 for long term use, I also prefer the safety on the trigger guard.

lokiaga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Austin
    You can get a Mossberg Maverick for under $200. If you aren't using it for birds, take the dowel stick out of the magazine and increase the capacity. Is it the world's best? No. But for the price you can't beat it. I got one, hid it in the garage, it's certainly good enough to take on a two or four footed bad'un in a hurry.

Heinz Bar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    Stay away from the Tristar. I bought one at Academy and thought it was a bargain. Tactical, grip, rail, FO sights, nice looking gun. Just doesn't cycle worth shite! Maybe needs more break in time and lots more lube but so far not impressed. If a bad guy breaks in I aint grabbing that gun.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Tipically they won't unlock for the next shot. It's like they just hang up.

I have had that issue with both the Mossberg 500 and the Wingmaster when using "cheap(er)" shells with steel instead of brass case heads. It seems that the tolerances are so tight that the steel expands and then the extractors (on both models) can't pull the case from the chamber.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The best shotgun on a budget (>$400)

I have had that issue with both the Mossberg 500 and the Wingmaster when using "cheap(er)" shells with steel instead of brass case heads. It seems that the tolerances are so tight that the steel expands and then the extractors (on both models) can't pull the case from the chamber.

Yup, I've seen that a few times. Mine runs the cheap stuff ok but it's also about 20 years old.

Seen a brand new one do it but I'm usually pretty aggressive when I rack it so when I shot it, it didn't really cause any problems.

It so seems to be more common with 12ga. Got my wife a 20ga 500 and it doesn't seen to be bothered by the cheap shells.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Yildiz (academy brand) Carries a 5+1 capacity, 2 3/4-3 1/2(mag) From around 350.00-375.00 and they also have Stoeger p350 for $ 400. I would definitely look into the stoeger who is also owned by berretta and we all know who that is. ( over 500 years serving)

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX

Under $400 would lead me search for a TGT-style pre-owned "deal" or "steal"...

Last edited:

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX

Bought a new $279 Remington 20ga pump at Cabela's yesterday. Seemed like a helIova deal.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    An alternative for those on a budget is the Norinco range of shotguns - a little while back I spent $200 for a NIB pump-gun called the Hawk 982, which is a clone of the 870; it comes with a rifle-sight front and peep-style rear:

t9h24h.png

They're easy to upgrade with standard 870 accessories, as I've done in this pic:
    331g0eu.jpg

1. Added an Accu-Riser comb raiser to help get my eye up in line with the rifle sights with cheek-weld - most manufacturers annoyingly don't change the stock when they add higher sights.
    2. Installed a Choate mag-tube extension.
    3. Fitted an XS Big Dot tritium front sight.
    4. Added a Magpul fore-end + short rail to allow me to easily install a light.
    5. Surefire G2 flashlight - upgraded the bulb to a 200-lumen Cree LED for robustness against recoil and more light.
    6. Added Velcro to the side of the receiver so I could easily slap on tear-off cards holding extra shells. Currently holds 2 slugs up for an emergency chamber-feed and 3 buckshot underneath to feed the mag-tube.
    7. Not yet done - work on the trigger; it's bloody horrible.

I pretty much bought this as a cheap trunk-gun - my little home-built AK is now worth wayyyy too much to keep in there :)

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom