• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "THE BESTEST VENISON SAUSAGE"
    Afterdecades of discarding freezer-burned deer meat, I had an idea.
    Before heading to Texas one Fall, I got a scribbled sausage recipe from Mr. RobertCormier, renowned Cajun sausage maker.
    I took our three deer to “Frank”, our processor in the “Hill Country” at Rocksprings inEdwards County, gave a $35 donation per deer to send the meat to “Hunters for the Hungry” in Austin, sent the hides to be tanned, and gave Frank the sausage recipe, which called for half beef and half lean pork; with specified seasonings and smoking instructions.
    Frank was hesitant to stamp the packs with his “VENISON SAUSAGE” labeler, but I insisted.
    Everyone,and I mean everyone, raved about this “venison” sausage; it was the best ever.
    I knew, and now you do, too; that the only venison involved was in Frank’s rubber stamp.
    Rick
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    "THE BESTEST VENISON SAUSAGE"
    Afterdecades of discarding freezer-burned deer meat, I had an idea.
    Before heading to Texas one Fall, I got a scribbled sausage recipe from Mr. RobertCormier, renowned Cajun sausage maker.
    I took our three deer to “Frank”, our processor in the “Hill Country” at Rocksprings inEdwards County, gave a $35 donation per deer to send the meat to “Hunters for the Hungry” in Austin, sent the hides to be tanned, and gave Frank the sausage recipe, which called for half beef and half lean pork; with specified seasonings and smoking instructions.
    Frank was hesitant to stamp the packs with his “VENISON SAUSAGE” labeler, but I insisted.
    Everyone,and I mean everyone, raved about this “venison” sausage; it was the best ever.
    I knew, and now you do, too; that the only venison involved was in Frank’s rubber stamp.
    Rick

Good for you, but how does this info help anyone else?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    it is true, Texas whitetail meat sucks....

It might be true for some people, but not all (so your statement is incorrect). One of my favorite meals is venison loin, from TX whitetail, seasoned lightly only with salt and pepper, and grilled extra rare. Makes my mouth water just typing about it! :)

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    We love venison
    Made chili last Wed
    We make sausage out of 50/50
    Pork butt and venison

Everyone I share it with loves it

OP is irrelevant to me

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Whitetail back strap.
    Cut across the grain in round patties about 1/2" thick.
    Meat hammer, season with Tony Chachere's, pan or chicken fry.
    Like mama's round steak and rice and gravy, I'd eat it three meals a day.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Whitetail back strap.
    Cut across the grain in round patties about 1/2" thick.
    Meat hammer, season with Tony Chachere's, pan or chicken fry.

Best breakfast ever, when paired with grandma's scratch biscuits. She used to have to run me out of the kitchen, I'd make such a pig of myself.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Best breakfast ever, when paired with grandma's scratch biscuits. She used to have to run me out of the kitchen, I'd make such a pig of myself.

Back in my yoot in the 60's, when traveling the wilds of Australia
    I did that with wild Buffalo (water) back strap, for the Aussies
    Spreading the Gospel according to Boudreaux ...

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    You must not know how to cook.

quite the opposite, im almost 50 and have killed and eaten whitetail deer since i was about 8 years old.... only difference is the white tail deer from West Virginia, where i was raised and hunted have a much more varied diet to feast on. Axis tastes like WV Whitetail to me and the wife.

when we cook whitetail from back in WV all we do is slice it thin, and fry it in bacon grease or butter with some onions... just like we do with Axis meat here.

last year i killed 3 TX white tail in Bandera county, 2 big 8 points and a doe. we wound up giving most of it away to people i work with who had no place to hunt.

the only way we could manage to eat what we kept was to meat hammer it to death, soak it in whole milk for 3 days in the fridge, and then cook it with salt, black pepper, cayenne, crushed red, fresh garlic, fresh sliced onions and then its still only barely edible, so IMHO Texas white tail meat does indeed suck.

on the other hand the feral pigs i have taken since moving here to the Republic of Texas is excellent!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    quite the opposite, im almost 50 and have killed and eaten whitetail deer since i was about 8 years old.... only difference is the white tail deer from West Virginia, where i was raised and hunted have a much more varied diet to feast on. Axis tastes like WV Whitetail to me and the wife.

when we cook whitetail from back in WV all we do is slice it thin, and fry it in bacon grease or butter with some onions... just like we do with Axis meat here.

last year i killed 3 TX white tail in Bandera county, 2 big 8 points and a doe. we wound up giving most of it away to people i work with who had no place to hunt.

the only way we could manage to eat what we kept was to meat hammer it to death, soak it in whole milk for 3 days in the fridge, and then cook it with salt, black pepper, cayenne, crushed red, fresh garlic, fresh sliced onions and then its still only barely edible, so IMHO Texas white tail meat does indeed suck.

on the other hand the feral pigs i have taken since moving here to the Republic of Texas is excellent!

maybe its the diet the deer are eating there.
    Up here the venision is wonderful. I killed a doe a few years back that had been feeding on a wheat field pretty heavy and that meat tasted very good

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Kind of hard to feast on deer here in the Suburbs. Most get splattered by cars, and the remains look quite unattractive for consumption.

On the other hand, the neighbor next door in a rent house liked to shoot deer with his 10-22. He kept his freezer full of venison, and he fed his family comfortably for many years.

Big City animal control has never been able to control either domestic or wild animals. It is not an offense to thin a herd that gets so large that it can no longer find food or water.

That would be the true definition of "responsible harvesting of wild life."

I don't care for venison, but for those who do, I say: "Drive On!"

Be well.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    it is true, Texas whitetail meat sucks.... Axis meat on the other hand is actually edible.
    If you know how to cook it, there are 2 ways that are great like 10/10.

Beat the hell outta it with a tenderizer and make it like chicken fried steaks. My dad makes it smothered in gravy.

If you grind- mix it with brisket. Excellent hamburger. Better than store bought.

Otherwise- jerky or grind it with pork, garlic, salt and course black pepper for some good sausage. You'll need a smokehouse or cold smoker to get it right. We moved away from the curing salt and cure with smoke, vacuum seal and eat or freeze.

Top Bottom