• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • will_em

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    it is true, Texas whitetail meat sucks.... Axis meat on the other hand is actually edible.

I disagree, my family has passed down an old sweet breakfast sausage recipe that makes for some of the best meat I've ever had.

Granted it's about 50% pork, but still... It's far from inedible.

I've never had Axis meat before though, and this has got me wanting to try it.

JD9305

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Austin & Ranch in Llano
    I also mix my sausage mix with a 50 to 50 mix of venison and pork butt and it is very tasty. From reading and trial I developed a bad ass maple breakfast sausage that is to die for. I will say that tenderloin or proper cuts off the hind legs bbq'd on the grill wrapped in bacon is what makes me smile.

EmbarkChief

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    IMOP Axis is the best venison there is. However Texas WT is good to go if things are handled properly from the shot to the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

will_em

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    I also mix my sausage mix with a 50 to 50 mix of venison and pork butt and it is very tasty. From reading and trial I developed a bad ass maple breakfast sausage that is to die for. I will say that tenderloin or proper cuts off the hind legs bbq'd on the grill wrapped in bacon is what makes me smile.

What are the proper cuts off the hind legs? We always just grind up damn near everything except the backstrap for either burgers or sausage

sam.collins18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    It might be true for some people, but not all (so your statement is incorrect). One of my favorite meals is venison loin, from TX whitetail, seasoned lightly only with salt and pepper, and grilled extra rare. Makes my mouth water just typing about it! :)

That sounds so good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Axis is wonderful venison, and does have a richer flavor than whitetail. That doesn't mean whitetail sucks, though. I have eaten whitetail venison harvested from all over this state, including more than several from Bandera County. It all tastes just fine if you handle it right in the field and on the prep table. We eat a lot of venison and there are two things I have never had to resort to while preparing it: never had to deep fry it, and never had to smother it in a pile of seasonings.

Top Bottom