Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There's been an addition to the Code of Conduct. Specifically:
    Advocating, explicitly or by example, breaking specific firearms-related laws is forbidden. It makes the forum look bad. There's a middle ground between advocating resistance to unjust legislation or statutes (which is allowed and encouraged) and outright bragging about lawlessness (which is forbidden). In that middle ground, the staff will be forced to make judgement calls. Feel free to PM a staffer before posting if you are questioning the propriety of a potential post.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Thanks for that addition. I'm not happy with laws like the NFA and Hughes act, but to brazenly admit you're violating them (or at least not giving that you are a credentialed weapons manufacturer before saying you build machine guns and use suppressors on them) is a good way to get us shut down, especially when President Harris gets into office.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    A question about copyright: You do not allow cutting and pasting of content from written articles but you have allowed folks to cut and paste or upload pictures and videos here for which they obviously in many cases do not hold a copyright - is that still allowed?

Also, one other issue: what about cutting and pasting parts of a member's own articles here for which that member holds copyright - is that permitted? For instance, I blog, can I cut and paste in these forums from my own blog?

Thanks

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So being stupid and outting yourself as a felon is frowned upon.

Got it.

To be fair, there’s been posts from more than one member along the lines of ‘concealed means concealed so 30.06 doesn’t matter to me’. That’s not a felony, but I understand that type of statement would be frowned upon.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    To be fair, there’s been posts from more than one member along the lines of ‘concealed means concealed so 30.06 doesn’t matter to me’. That’s not a felony, but I understand that type of statement would be frowned upon.
    I'm not sure that's what they mean. Ignoring a federal firearm law and publicly announcing your racking up 10 year stays is different than poo pooing on ccw restrictions and such where the accidental transgression requires you to leave.

For the record concealed does mean concealed. While I hardly ever see a sign I would never advocate for intentionally violating a law like that. I just may not frequent places that have them.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm not sure that's what they mean. Ignoring a federal firearm law and publicly announcing your racking up 10 year stays is different than poo pooing on ccw restrictions and such where the accidental transgression requires you to leave.

For the record concealed does mean concealed. While I hardly ever see a sign I would never advocate for intentionally violating a law like that. I just may not frequent places that have them.

I don’t have a problem with the rule, but the rule isn’t limited to fed felonies. It’s about firearms related laws in general.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don’t have a problem with the rule, but the rule isn’t limited to fed felonies. It’s about firearms related laws in general.

I know from reading on other forums, many like to say, "concealed is concealed, and no one knows." if they ignore a sign prohibiting the carrying of firearms with the premises. Some like to "encourage" others to do the same thing, as they like to think it's an "infringement" of their 2nd Amendment rights.

Blatant ignorance of a property owner's rights to prohibit firearms, IMO is setting the wrong tone for law-abiding gun owners who carry. Such comments are condoning, advocating and promoting breaking the law.

My opinion is, people are going to do what they do. None of my business. But if such people are going to do such things, I wish they would just keep it to themselves, and keep their mouths shut about it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You do not allow cutting and pasting of content from written articles but you have allowed folks to cut and paste or upload pictures and videos here for which they obviously in many cases do not hold a copyright - is that still allowed?
    The overwhelming majority of videos shared here come from sources that grant permission for sharing. That's why they have a share button on their websites. By custom, photos tend to be treated the same; the overwhelming majority are intended to provide publicity for the creator and the source web sites often have a page granting permission and setting out conditions, e.g. making sure that credit is given and/or watermarks kept intact.

In sum, visual media is less of a problem than written media, where the legacy news sources have become pretty aggressive about people re-using their content. Of course, if we received a DMCA takedown notice, the main admin would respond appropriately and, by doing so, prevent the board from having any big problems.
    Also, one other issue: what about cutting and pasting parts of a member's own articles here for which that member holds copyright - is that permitted? For instance, I blog, can I cut and paste in these forums from my own blog?
    Of course you can. You can, in fact, cut and paste entire articles if you have the permission of the copyright holder. However, you'd need to send a heads-up to the staff before you do since it would look like a copyright violation.

I know I've published several hundred photos and articles in national magazines. I've never had a problem with people quoting me extensively as long as they asked permission or, at minimum, met a reasonable standard of fair use.

We have a nationally-known gun writer on TGT. He prefers to keep a low profile so I won't name him but if he chose to put some of his work on the board, we'd know to leave it alone.

So if you'd like to quote your own blog, feel free. It would make it easier if you'd start out by saying "Here's something I wrote for my own blog that's on topic" before you pasted in your work, though. Then we'd immediately know that permission was granted.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes, and where the firearms lawbreaking discussed is the moral equivalent of driving 75 in a 70, that whole section about using our best judgement will come into play.

I don't anticipate problems if we exercise a little common sense. If you can foresee problems, please elaborate. I'm sure we didn't think of everything and your input would be much appreciated.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The overwhelming majority of videos shared here come from sources that grant permission for sharing. That's why they have a share button on their websites. By custom, photos tend to be treated the same; the overwhelming majority are intended to provide publicity for the creator and the source web sites often have a page granting permission and setting out conditions, e.g. making sure that credit is given and/or watermarks kept intact.

In sum, visual media is less of a problem than written media, where the legacy news sources have become pretty aggressive about people re-using their content. Of course, if we received a DMCA takedown notice, the main admin would respond appropriately and, by doing so, prevent the board from having any big problems.
    Of course you can. You can, in fact, cut and paste entire articles if you have the permission of the copyright holder. However, you'd need to send a heads-up to the staff before you do since it would look like a copyright violation.

I know I've published several hundred photos and articles in national magazines. I've never had a problem with people quoting me extensively as long as they asked permission or, at minimum, met a reasonable standard of fair use.

We have a nationally-known gun writer on TGT. He prefers to keep a low profile so I won't name him but if he chose to put some of his work on the board, we'd know to leave it alone.

So if you'd like to quote your own blog, feel free. It would make it easier if you'd start out by saying "Here's something I wrote for my own blog that's on topic" before you pasted in your work, though. Then we'd immediately know that permission was granted.

Ben, along those lines, I have a question. I usually will copy and paste the source for opinions on a post, and sometimes will copy and paste a sentence or two from the article from that source.

Is that acceptable?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is that acceptable?
    Generally, yes. I know the rule explicitly says "the first sentence" only so another mod may feel differently.

I, however, remember the discussions among the staff that prompted the rule. Folks were cutting and pasting entire articles without attribution, sometimes trying to make it look like the words were their own. That had to stop. It mostly has.

OTOH, if you'd like us all to never exercise any judgement, allow no leeway, and rigidly enforce the rule, let me or any other staffer know. :)

Top Bottom