Deepinnaheartta, Texas

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Pedo joe is making it easy.
    Any author that starts out with "... I couldn't sleep actually..." and follows that up with "...So I woke up..." already has my BS meter pegged. Then I read the tie-in's for the video(s) and all I can say is.... this o'l man ain't picking up what's being laid down!

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I had watched joe rogan when he had Mike baker on (former CIA). He talked about sometime recently, India has a mass power outage that was heavily assumed to be chinas doing. Basically imagine the hysteria around the winter storm in February, but for weeks if not months on end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why the hell is the power grid attached to the internet in the first place?
    We had electricity for YEARS before the internet was invented.

So power companies don’t have to send someone to read meters. So outages aren’t known about as soon as they happen. So load can be monitored and accounted for across multiple networks in real time. So switching can be done from a central location when needed, and so that switching can be verified. So planned outages can be more controlled and powered off on cycles will be more efficient (in theory, didn’t work in the ice storm). So if you don’t pay your bill they can kill your power with a few taps on the keyboard.

Probably a lot more reasons. I just work on the edge of power distribution.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    So power companies don’t have to send someone to read meters. So outages aren’t known about as soon as they happen. So load can be monitored and accounted for across multiple networks in real time. So switching can be done from a central location when needed, and so that switching can be verified. So planned outages can be more controlled and powered off on cycles will be more efficient (in theory, didn’t work in the ice storm). So if you don’t pay your bill they can kill your power with a few taps on the keyboard.

Probably a lot more reasons. I just work on the edge of power distribution.

It’s amazing just how much is now controlled and monitored remote now.
    But when something goes wrong they still have to send me out to find out why.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Substations, generation plants, etc. are all remotely monitored 24x7. Only way to do that is via internet (or parking people 24x7 at every one of those locations, which is not economically feasible). Much of the equipment can not only be monitored but also controlled remotely. Some troubleshooting can be done remotely.

Reactions: gll

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    This is why I never invested in electronic locks, security cameras, etc. I don't trust it .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will never have home automation.

what will you do 10 years from now when all of the programming is not supported and incompatible with new technology?

You know what works? The basic light switches, 120V. It’s been around since the 1900s for a reason. I can trouble shoot and install anything new with that. And guarantee it’s going to work for 20 years. And replacement switches are 1.50$ at Home Depot. New lights are 50-100$ and easy to replace.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Substations, generation plants, etc. are all remotely monitored 24x7. Only way to do that is via internet (or parking people 24x7 at every one of those locations, which is not economically feasible). Much of the equipment can not only be monitored but also controlled remotely. Some troubleshooting can be done remotely.

Same way oil pipelines are monitored remotely. Tons of office space in downtown Houston to do so

Reactions: gll

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I will never have home automation.

what will you do 10 years from now when all of the programming is not supported and incompatible with new technology?

You know what works? The basic light switches, 120V. It’s been around since the 1900s for a reason. I can trouble shoot and install anything new with that. And guarantee it’s going to work for 20 years. And replacement switches are 1.50$ at Home Depot. New lights are 50-100$ and easy to replace.
    As a software engineer who works in automation, my advice to all of you is; DO NOT USE HOME AUTOMATION!

And I wouldnt use any smart speakers either. Machine learning is creepy as hell

Top Bottom