The continued militarization of police and sheriff’s departments

Status

Polarbear6

Jan 25, 2013
Central Texas
Leftover armored trucks from Iraq coming to local police agencies - NY Daily News

"the ability to deliver shock and awe while serving warrants or dealing with hostage standoffs was just too good to pass up."

Serving warrants? Seriously?

I'm retired Army and I find this troubling. Is this just an apparently innocent way for DHS to distribute military vehicles around the country?

59 CAD

Jan 26, 2013
Article says Dallas County Sheriff's Dept. got one......
Maybe a SWAT vehicle would be the only thing I could think of.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Military technology and hardware always trickles down to law enforcement. With the increased sophistication, weaponary and savagery or criminals, LE is behind the curve catching up.

Two way radios, radar, semi auto pistols, tactical rifles, etc.,

There is nothing wrong with it.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
Oct 15, 2013
Eddy
Military technology and hardware always trickles down to law enforcement. With the increased sophistication, weaponary and savagery or criminals, LE is behind the curve catching up.

Remember back before law enforcement had uniforms? Stolen right out of the US Army playbook — disgusting. :roflsmile:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
Dec 28, 2012
Cedar Park

It's one thing to have that equipment. But to openly state that it will be used for shock and awe, that's clear cut intimidation. Maybe if they specified that they were serving warrants for cases that truly need SWAT (which is way overused IMO) I wouldn't be so tentative but they just used broad sweeping language.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
It's one thing to have that equipment. But to openly state that it will be used for shock and awe, that's clear cut intimidation. Maybe if they specified that they were serving warrants for cases that truly need SWAT (which is way overused IMO) I wouldn't be so tentative but they just used broad sweeping language.
The police WANT to intimidate the bad guys. Right?

LJH

Well-Known
Aug 22, 2011
Austin
The police WANT to intimidate the bad guys. Right?
Yes they do. Then again, when do they get the final say on who is the bad guy? I am not trying to offend any officers, and on occasion an officer will treat me with respect, but MY general experience with the police is; if you are not police you are a bad guy.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Wildcat Thicket, Texas
In my opinion spreading military hardware and technology into the communities is a good thing.

Provides LE with tools to fight crime/look cool and would very quickly end up in the hands of the populace in the event of a large scale uprising.

Win win

Status
Top Bottom