• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

59 CAD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Article says Dallas County Sheriff's Dept. got one......
    Maybe a SWAT vehicle would be the only thing I could think of.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Military technology and hardware always trickles down to law enforcement. With the increased sophistication, weaponary and savagery or criminals, LE is behind the curve catching up.

Two way radios, radar, semi auto pistols, tactical rifles, etc.,

There is nothing wrong with it.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Military technology and hardware always trickles down to law enforcement. With the increased sophistication, weaponary and savagery or criminals, LE is behind the curve catching up.

Remember back before law enforcement had uniforms? Stolen right out of the US Army playbook — disgusting. :roflsmile:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

It's one thing to have that equipment. But to openly state that it will be used for shock and awe, that's clear cut intimidation. Maybe if they specified that they were serving warrants for cases that truly need SWAT (which is way overused IMO) I wouldn't be so tentative but they just used broad sweeping language.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It's one thing to have that equipment. But to openly state that it will be used for shock and awe, that's clear cut intimidation. Maybe if they specified that they were serving warrants for cases that truly need SWAT (which is way overused IMO) I wouldn't be so tentative but they just used broad sweeping language.

The police WANT to intimidate the bad guys. Right?

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    The police WANT to intimidate the bad guys. Right?
    Yes they do. Then again, when do they get the final say on who is the bad guy? I am not trying to offend any officers, and on occasion an officer will treat me with respect, but MY general experience with the police is; if you are not police you are a bad guy.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    In my opinion spreading military hardware and technology into the communities is a good thing.

Provides LE with tools to fight crime/look cool and would very quickly end up in the hands of the populace in the event of a large scale uprising.

Win win

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    In my opinion spreading military hardware and technology into the communities is a good thing.

Provides LE with tools to fight crime/look cool and would very quickly end up in the hands of the populace in the event of a large scale uprising.

Win win

You beat me to it!! LOL!!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Remember back before law enforcement had uniforms? Stolen right out of the US Army playbook — disgusting. :roflsmile:

You're being flip, but before the Civil War, police didn't wear uniforms or use paramilitary ranks to avoid the perception that they could even possibly become the standing army the Founders were so worried about. Fast forward a century and a half...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I am all for LEO to be properly equipped to meet whatever threat they may face in their "normal" environment. Body armor? Yes. Tactical Carbines? Yes.

Camouflage uniforms, Kevlar Helmets, and kitted out like they going on patrol in Afghanistan? NO!!

Armored Vehicles? Absolutely not.

Big city police departments ought to police at the community level. Less show of force day to day. Talk to the residents. Gain their trust. Know the territory. Use escalated force only when necessary -- more cops, less equipment.

De-escalate: Armored vehicles and Ninja's in full head-to-toe G.I Battle Rattle only raise the stakes. Scumbag thinks: They are here to kill me no matter what: What difference does it make if I kill these hostages?

We have already crossed the Police-State threshold and must roll it back to uniformed officers walking a beat.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I am all for LEO to be properly equipped to meet whatever threat they may face in their "normal" environment. Body armor? Yes. Tactical Carbines? Yes.

Camouflage uniforms, Kevlar Helmets, and kitted out like they going on patrol in Afghanistan? NO!!

Armored Vehicles? Absolutely not.

Even I see a time and place for most of that stuff. Kevlar helmets aren't a bad idea, 'cause it's just more body armor. Hell, I've even personally helped kit a cop out with plates and patrol rifle optics, even though some people here assume I just hate all cops no matter what.

To me, it's all about the appropriate time and place for the stuff. My friend wanted to build an "active shooter kit", so some plates went in a carrier, he got a solid sight, some spare mags and a way to grab and go. Now, if he'd asked for help building a kit for drug busts or something, I'd have probably told him to pound sand.

Stopping violence? Gear up however you need and go. Playing SEALs and robbers over a non-violent, victimless event? I want no part of it.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Big city police departments ought to police at the community level. Less show of force day to day. Talk to the residents. Gain their trust. Know the territory. Use escalated force only when necessary -- more cops, less equipment.

I agree, part of the public distain for the police is the "us vs. you" mentality of so many in law enforcement. To those with the demeanor of You're not a cop, you're little people. us "civilians" are not worth talking to.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

fanboi :roflsmile:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Come on guys! You know they need MRAPS. I mean, there are all those IEDs out there in the "urban environment" in 2013. Strykers and Bradleys next? I mean an M1 tank would be overkill.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom